Buying used van, what to look for?

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
I am buying a cheap van for my band, we are going to be touring soon. I have my heart set on a Ford extended cargo van or a 15 passenger van if I can find one. My question is what to look for with something as high as 150,000 miles. All I know about these vans are the ball joints go bad up front. I have no preference on an engine except I do not want the V10.

Just something that runs, drives and has a working heater... A/C would be nice, but it's no biggie. I don't even care about body condition as long as there is no broken lights or glass.

Besides ball joints, is there anything to look for or an engine to stay away from. My parents had a truck with a 5.4 and it had to be replaced so I am a little shy about 5.4. Are the V6s any good?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. yes I know about normal stuff like tires and hoses.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Good thought. I don't need to blow the engine 1,500 miles from home.

you may want to stop looking at fords then :s00ls:

what's your price range? balljoints will go bad on any cargo van (chevy or ford), it's only a matter of time. maintenance is key, and the 4.6/5.4l mod motors are actually really reliable if they're well taken care of.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
All of 5.4 pickups at work take a severe beating and keep on ticking with basic maintenance. You should probably look for a van with no windows period. You dont want some shit head peering into your van with all your gear in it. And get those big side and rear door looks. And get a CCW and firearm for any and all states it's allowed to scare away said shit heads.

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
you may want to stop looking at fords then :s00ls:

what's your price range? balljoints will go bad on any cargo van (chevy or ford), it's only a matter of time. maintenance is key, and the 4.6/5.4l mod motors are actually really reliable if they're well taken care of.

I really didn't turn into a Ford guy till a few years ago man. When I have enough money to maintain a GM I will gladly buy one, but Ford has really stood the test of time with me.

I have heard and experienced Chevy transmissions and fuel pumps going out and Dodge seems to have the same issues, more so transmissions.

My budget is really cheap. I am selling off a Gibson guitar for this, so budget will be $1,000-$1,500 at most. Looks like I will be getting a mid 90s van, but until we get signed (which is close than it seems actually) we can get something nicer. I am looking for about two years of life out of whatever van I get and use it as a winter beater to store the Marauder. I only drive about once a week now, but when the van comes into the picture we can see 1,000 miles in the matter of two days. I plan on getting a new set of tires and doing a tune up on whatever I buy.

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
All of 5.4 pickups at work take a severe beating and keep on ticking with basic maintenance. You should probably look for a van with no windows period. You dont want some shit head peering into your van with all your gear in it. And get those big side and rear door looks. And get a CCW and firearm for any and all states it's allowed to scare away said shit heads.

15 passenger would be best because we will need side windows so we don't lose our minds in the back seat for 100s of miles a day. If we got a 15 passenger van the windows would be tinted out and wood would be installed on the inside so our gear doesn't break any windows when we take a turn.

I was also thinking of getting a extended cargo van without windows, going to a junkyard and getting a set of second row doors with windows... even mismatched color. The biggest issue will be seats. I have no problem with buying junkyard seats and bolting them in, but if an accident occurs I don't want anyone getting hurt or the insurance company voiding a claim because the seats were not "professionally" installed.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
enough money to maintain a GM? wait wut
it doesnt matter what you buy. you arent going to get a van that's able to drive cross country without worry for $1500.
the best you can do is buy a panel van, bolt in some junkyard bench seats, paint "rape van" on the sides, and pray it doesnt break down when you're out of state

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
We will see. Believe me I would like to be in the $10,000 range.

I had a Chevy... still do, but it gave me fuel pump and transmissions problems all the time. While working at at GM dealer for almost a year, I have noticed nothing has changed about the quality of GM cars and trucks. At least they look cool.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
A: Im not fixing your van.
B: This is not the 70's anymore, be seen in something that reflects where you are in life.

Show up in a beater, you will be viewed by fans as low class and 'not making it'

Put your money together and buy something fairly new thats still in the warranty period.

If you cant do this, you are not ready to go on tour.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
'small time' bands I've seen nearly all in 15 passenger fords. This means 5.4 or V-10 in the nose. They can have a billion miles put on them, but in typicaly Van fashion, front end bits need to be repaired/replaced.

You can probably get a late 90's 15 passenger van under the $2k Mark, but it will most likely need a tune-up, tires, and serious front end work (which will set you back another grand easily).

@ Zack, Warranty and Band Van don't go together. Any warranty would get ripped up with highway miles (which really won't damage the engine, and suspension and other wear components won't be covered.....).

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
A: Im not fixing your van.
B: This is not the 70's anymore, be seen in something that reflects where you are in life.

Show up in a beater, you will be viewed by fans as low class and 'not making it'

Put your money together and buy something fairly new thats still in the warranty period.

If you cant do this, you are not ready to go on tour.

Good point.

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005

If you went to concerts you would see not every band you see has a decent set of wheels. If you went to shows that don't get promoted on XRT, met bands after the show and helped with load in you would see a lot have "beaters". This is how it is starting off Zack.

Even bands that have been around for many years with record deals still drive $1,500 vans... sometimes bands will tour together in a $1,500 van... yes two bands together in something like that and a trailer. One of my favorite bands still drive around in junk and seem to have a different van every time. I saw this band a month ago... they look like they have it "made" but they had to share a $1,500 van with another band. Yes they look good, that's all that matters. Money is important for the music, transportation is just an expense. Doubt you will listen, but here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h593TwZRx4o

Hardly anyone will see the van before and after the show and if they do so what? Who cares? This isn't a Chevy picnic where best of show goes to a 1970 El Camino with 3,000 original miles and the rare L88 edition with one of 50 made with a manual transmission or some other nonsense. Most people that go to shows do not give a damn about what you drove up in. It can actually be used to a benefit if you pull it off right. If you show up in a "good" looking vehicle the stage manager or talent buyer will see you "have" money and can probably hassle you into paying you less at the end of the night. Show up in a beater with a heater and he will know you need the money at the end of the night. Sounds horrible, but that's the way of the business.

Having decent equipment for the show IS what matters. People came to see the performance and if you have guitars that won't stay in tune, amps that cut out, that's what's bad for business... if you cannot perform your service, that's the issue. Not what you showed up in. Hardly anyone sees that and if they do it's because they are A: a worker or B: a devoted fan that will help you. Either way those that see a van will not care.

The only time I ever saw a van as an issue was when someone was asking if they could have the grease from the restaurant that was connected to the building. Nothing wrong with that, but the place just didn't want bands taking their grease. Yes their van was converted to run on old deep fryer oil.

I didn't ask for your help, but thanks for the notice in advance. You are free to contact me anytime for anything though.

'small time' bands I've seen nearly all in 15 passenger fords. This means 5.4 or V-10 in the nose. They can have a billion miles put on them, but in typicaly Van fashion, front end bits need to be repaired/replaced.

You can probably get a late 90's 15 passenger van under the $2k Mark, but it will most likely need a tune-up, tires, and serious front end work (which will set you back another grand easily).

@ Zack, Warranty and Band Van don't go together. Any warranty would get ripped up with highway miles (which really won't damage the engine, and suspension and other wear components won't be covered.....).

Zack understands cars, he doesn't understand bands, yet he chooses to judge. I should get back in E85 threads and post my thoughts on how it works.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info