Soooo what can you do with these 5.3 Trucks?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
04 Tahoe LT 5.3 Flex Fuel AWD

Getting the inch for some more MPG, and maybe some power. :hsugh:

Besides the basic maintenance (already done) what can be done, to get a bit more MPG out of this thing? Its currently stock with a K&N drop in.

I know intake, tune, exhaust, bla bla bla, its a fucking Tahoe. What I can do that wont cost me thousands?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
$XXX for a tune to pick up 1-2mpg = You'll get rid of it before it ever makes up for the tune $.

Usually when people want to take the approach for better MPG, they don't buy SUV's. Just sayin.

Honestly I test drive a Chevy Cruze before I bought this, but didn't want to buy something with less HP then my snowmobile.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Replace the clutch fan with junkyard LS1 electric fans. Got mine for $100 and Speed installed for pretty cheap while they were doing some exhaust work. Cut the muffler off and dump it after the axle. With the cats, and resonator that was the best my truck has ever sounded. Then get a tune and you are good to go.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
my burban was no slouch, but it had 4.10 gears but could only get 13.5-14mpg at best.

my sister has an 03 sierra that gets 16.5 typically. don't know what gears it has but it feels quite a bit slower than my burban did

I get 16mpg pretty much 60% city 40% highway.

Replace the clutch fan with junkyard LS1 electric fans. Got mine for $100 and Speed installed for pretty cheap while they were doing some exhaust work. Cut the muffler off and dump it after the axle. With the cats, and resonator that was the best my truck has ever sounded. Then get a tune and you are good to go.

Can I buy a electric fan new somewhere? Not IN for truck to be loud or sound like Team Octane.

More then I can afford pal

Because the way you drive really has a need for more than 20hp? :jerkit:

Have you ever actually been in a car with me? I don't drive like a tool, but I don't race from light to light either. Not to mention I haven't owned slow shit that you can just race around everywhere. I find these comments odd coming from you since you wont come out to Luke's because its "too far" yet you have those 50mpg hondas.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
My trailblazer is quite a bit lighter but I did e-fans made my own intake, had a muffler shop just put a better sounding muffler on and get rid of the resonator, and got a PCM for less tune, 40 psi in the tires, on a trip to Michigan at the end of the summer I got 23mpg up and back, I average 19 around town and country driving

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
You can sell it and buy an f150 ecoboost and get 20 mpg. :s00ls:

I don't think the additional 20K would be worth it.

My trailblazer is quite a bit lighter but I did e-fans made my own intake, had a muffler shop just put a better sounding muffler on and get rid of the resonator, and got a PCM for less tune, 40 psi in the tires, on a trip to Michigan at the end of the summer I got 23mpg up and back, I average 19 around town and country driving

Pics of intake? What muffler?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

yeah i want a 5.3 tb for this reason. that's awesome.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I don't think the additional 20K would be worth it.

Pics of intake? What muffler?

It was just a turbo flow type off brand I think, I honestly just told the dude to give it a little rumble but I didn't want to notice te exhaust when I was on the interstate, the intake is a 4 inch silicone 90 I ordered off amazon with the maf on the end of it and a 9" k&n come filter, I beleive the e-fans made the biggest difference tho

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Efans for sure. You could do some aero mods as well but thats out of your mechanical skill, no offense. A CAI would be better than a HAI I would think. MAybe a better flowing intake manifold form a LSx or something? Throw your HPT on there and lean the bitch out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info