SHO people step in!

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Need some input. Looking to get a car for winter. Looking for cheap but still a car that I don't need to put a bunch of money in or something so nasty inside I'll want to take a shower after I drive it.

Anyway I found a '93 SHO for sale with 147000 miles on it for $600.

Here's the description:
This 1993 Ford Taurus 4dr SHO Sedan features a 3.2L V6 SFI 24V 6 cyl Gasoline engine. It is equipped with a 4 Speed Automatic transmission. The vehicle is White with a Black Leather-Suede interior. It is offered As-Is, extended warranty is available. - WE HAVE A 1993 FORD TAURUS SHO . THIS CAR RUNS ROUGH BUT SHIFTS GOOD AND STARTS ALL THE TIME! IT PROBABLY NEEDS A MAJOR TUNE UP, SOME EXHAUST WORK AND SOME BRAKE WORK.. THIS CAR IS NOT FRONT ROW READY!! WE USUALLLY TAKE THESE TO THE AUCTION. WE HOWEVER DECIDED TO KEEP THIS ONE AND SELL IT AS A FIXER UPPER OR A (GET BACK AND FORTH TO WORK CAR) THIS CAR WONT LAST SO COME BY AND PICK IT UP TODAY!

The running rough part is what concerns me. Does this sound like just a tune up maybe or like stay the fuck away it's gonna need a new motor. I just don't know enough about these cars or the motors so any help is appreciated.

Pics:
01.jpg

02.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Not bad for $600. Any number of things can make it run rough. The valve cover seals leak and fill the spark plug wells with oil, the timing belt may have jumped...

For a DD a V6 SHO might be a little much though. The transmission in that is a heap of garbage and even if it's been rebuilt it will eventually need another rebuild. Then you have timing belt maintenance, water pump, crank sensors that like to randomly fail, a rod bearing epidemic (though they're easy to replace), parts that are hard to find an expensive when you do, etc.

Right off the bat you can figure it needs a timing belt which means you'll also want to replace the tensioner, accessory belt, water pump, crank sensor and cam seals. In addition to that it will need the valve adjustment which requires renting or buying the valve tools. While you're doing that you'll also replace the spark plugs and wires, clean out the oil from the spark plug wells, replace the valve cover seals, disassemble and clean the intake and that's about it. In other words: don't. :)

Plus the auto just sucks the life out of the car. It's still fun but nowhere near a 5 speed. The SHO is an enthusiasts car, probably not a good daily driver if the intention of your daily driver is to be low maintenance and inexpensive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info