Camaro owner records mechanics abusing car, scheming to get damages paid for

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Camaro owner records mechanics abusing car, scheming to get damages paid for | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE4Dh_82kMM

When you own a sports car, you inevitably get a little paranoid about how it's treated when in the care of strangers. One South Carolina man was worried enough that when he took his 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS in for service at a Chevy dealer, he hid a voice recorder in the car. He was right to be worried: The recorder caught mechanics doing burnouts and discussing how to make the owner pay for a ruined clutch the car didn't have before coming in. Now the Internet Justice League has taken the wheel.William Clark says he took his Camaro to Best Chevrolet-Kia in Easley, S.C. for a clunking noise in the car's six-speed manual transmission. After a previous visit to a different dealer, his Camaro had died shortly after Clark retrieved it; while he suspected the staff at that dealership of joyriding, he had no proof at the time.

This time, the voice recorder hidden in the door pocket catches employees doing several burnouts and hard launches in the Camaro; Smith later says the techs drove it harder in 20 minutes than he had in three years. Once back in the shop, the mechanics realize the Camaro's clutch has been fried, and come up with a plan to blame the damage on Smith, saying to "write it up as him buying a (expletive) clutch," while saying another part failed under warranty so that General Motors would pay for its replacement.

Smith says he's taken his evidence to the dealer and Chevrolet customer service; the dealer offered to reassess the damage or take the Camaro as a trade-in on another car, but refused Smith's demand to buy the car back. Smith says Chevrolet customer service washed it hands of the problem, saying it was an issue between him and the dealer. As of the last update, the car's smoked clutch remains untouched.

Unfortunately for Smith, there's few other steps he can take that don't end in court. Dealers are regulated by states; Clark can file a complaint with South Carolina officials, but even with an audio recording the assessment of damage isn't so clear-cut as if the mechanics had wrecked it on a test drive. Instead, other Camaro owners have taken up the cause, posting Smith's video to the dealership's Facebook page and otherwise making noise about the problem.

You can hear the entire exchange, including the profanity, here. A lawyer for Best Chevrolet, in a request to Yahoo Autos to take down this story, told us in an email that the audio was "misleadingly edited." Clark has said the dealership has threatened to sue him over the audio, but has also spoken with him about buying the Camaro back. The dealership may soon learn that in the Internet era, one burnt clutch can create quite the stink.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Never recorded anything, but kept track of miles driven and average MPG change. One time I dropped the car off for trans issue, the car went from 17.9mpg to 16.8, but the trans was grinding from 2nd to 3rd gear at 8000rpm, so I expected they needed to beat the hell out of it to replicate the problem.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
How generous of the dealer to offer a trade in. Trade in the beat up Camaro so the owner has to buy another car, new payments for more years ahead and the dealer will make money on the new and beat up Camaro. It's so win win for the dealer.

Fuck em. File a lawsuit. Tired of the average Joe being taken advantage of by scumbags and scumbag dealers.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
^^ that facebook page is blowing the fuck up. somebody in their PR department is shitting themselves right now :rofl:
seeing this stuff makes me sick. i respect every vehicle that comes into my shop for service. sometimes, wide open throttle is needed on a test drive. but repeated abuse from multiple techs is ridiculous. besides, it's a stock 5th gen fucking camaro. its not that fast :hsugh:

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I will never buy a toy car with a warranty again. That being said, it's a fucking Camaro and the owner has probably never taken it to the red line. I have no sympathy for any one who owns a 5th gen and bitches about someone beating on it a little.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
What I can't believe is that dealer trying to double dip on that job with customer pay and warranty. That is an extremely risky practice.... If GM catches you doing that they will take legal action on the people involved and audit the shop and cross check all repair orders for double dipping. I mean I know people get away with little shit now and then but they made it sound like it was common practice

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I will never buy a toy car with a warranty again. That being said, it's a fucking Camaro and the owner has probably never taken it to the red line. I have no sympathy for any one who owns a 5th gen and bitches about someone beating on it a little.

Revving it high is a bit different from them doing burnouts and destroying the clutch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info