Need a new engine: 2002 Chevy Blazer 4x4

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Cliffs: '02 Blazer, needs motor, but go-fast motor or stocker?

Does anyone here have a hook up on any type of motor?Used/rebuilt/5.3/5.7 anything.

Woman I work with has a minty clean 2002 Chevy Blazer 4 door, 4x4. Few months ago her mechanic told her she needed a new head gasket. With ~160k on the clock I can't believe that the 4.3L lasted even that long w/o one. Anyways, stop leak went in and she gambled with time. Ended up having a total failure on I-55, and the motor is seized.

My lil bro picked the truck up for $1k cash. New trans not long ago, transfer case has been periodically used and maintained/serviced. New ball joints and other front end work (not surprising with on S10 chasis). Interior is litterally almost showroom new. I think her '02 is cleaner than my '11 :eek3:. Absolutely zero rust on the exterior, and clean title/no accidents (save hitting a turkey vulture in Arkansas :mamoru: ).

Cash supply is limited, but money can be spent on good "bang for your buck".

Option A: Buy a running junkyard motor and drop it in. ~$450 from I-55 AutoSalvage w/ core swap.
Option B: Buy a rebuilt motor ~$2k
Option C: Junk yard motor and rebuild it ourselves. ~$450 for motor + $300 for eBay rebuild 'kit'
Option D: Drop in a 5.3L or 5.7L. According to the interwebs, this swap is easy as fuck. Just need the motor, wiring harness, and the accessories from a Corvette. I guess the vette's have a slim alternator/AC Compressor/etc... which is needed to clear the radiator in the little S10 engine bay. Then move rad. fan to front of radiator.

Opinions, input, advice GO!

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
if the thing is as clean as you say it is, find one on ebay or (obviously you already asked here, people be sleepin so ydunno when they'll reply) ask somewhere.

if it's had that much work, why scrap it. if he picked it up for 1k cash and that's all that's wrong (i know. i'm saying it like it's a small issue) then you and him should make it a project and swap in a vortec v8. :pedobear:

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
if the thing is as clean as you say it is, find one on ebay or (obviously you already asked here, people be sleepin so ydunno when they'll reply) ask somewhere.

if it's had that much work, why scrap it. if he picked it up for 1k cash and that's all that's wrong (i know. i'm saying it like it's a small issue) then you and him should make it a project and swap in a vortec v8. :pedobear:

:ugh: Please refer to option D in the OP...

Problem with a high HP build is that he is only 19 and it will be daily driven, so fuel economy needs to be somewhat considered. A stock LS1 or 5.3 would be plenty of power and hopefully not get too much worse than a stock motor. We have zero intention of scrapping the car, not sure where you got that from. Cliffs and title of the thread both state that I need a new motor and we just need to decide WHICH motor to put in it. The truck was bought with every intention of replacing motor.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
A cheap DD that should last as long as it is properly maintained for a 19 year old. Win/Win if you ask me.

:dunno: that's the plan

He is coming from a '95 Ford Bronco so at least this won't be a huge shell shock like going into a civic or something.

Hey Fish, what were you refering to in your post earlier? I googled that JY Motors and it just gave me electric motors

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
jy = junkyard.

and my bad, didn't read everything. i'm tired.

any of the ls-based v8's would probably get better MPG than the 4.3 oddly enough.

:eek3:

:picard:

I'm a dumbass.

As far as the gas mileage, I kind of anticipate the same thing. The 4.3 struggles so much to move that car that the torquey V8 will probably do better in the city if driven nicely.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
buddy's impala ss with a 5.3 could pull 32 highway.

my impala pulled 35 once with a tailwind. otherwise 32 avg.

point is, the v8 will probably be as good or better.

in a little s platform vehicle, it'll do real good

and shit happens. lol. happens to all of us. i'll suck it up here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info