Propeller buzzing noise on Pontiac G6 (increases with speed)

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Hoping someone can help me out here. This just started on my g/f's car yesterday, there is a buzzing sound from the front engine bay of the car. It can't be heard from outside, and doesn't change with anything but speed.

As the speed increases the propeller sound increases. Honestly sounds just like a prop airplane. Isn't tires either from what I can tell. Shifting is fine, doesn't change with RPM's or gear just speed.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE:

Changed the entire wheel hub assembly. Nothing has changed.

Buzzing (tone/pitch) still there and increases under speed. It also gets louder when I swerve to the left, when I swerve right it becomes less.

I can also feel the buzzing in the steering wheel and in the accel. pedal.

Anymore ideas? I also rotated the tires, so it has nothing to do with the tire that was on the front left, or the wheel hub/bearing. Next....

Last edited:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
This might be too simple an answer but check the fan blade, too. As any of us who had bicycles and baseball cards can remember, you get the propeller sound if anything is hitting the fan blade same as if a baseball card is hitting the spokes. Maybe a plastic piece broke off or something else got wedged in and is hitting the blade as it spins. I know it's not likely if you can't hear the noise from outside but it's easy to check.

While you are looking, check the driveshaft, too, in case anything got wrapped around it.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
This might be too simple an answer but check the fan blade, too. As any of us who had bicycles and baseball cards can remember, you get the propeller sound if anything is hitting the fan blade same as if a baseball card is hitting the spokes. Maybe a plastic piece broke off or something else got wedged in and is hitting the blade as it spins. I know it's not likely if you can't hear the noise from outside but it's easy to check.

While you are looking, check the driveshaft, too, in case anything got wrapped around it.

what? Electric fans don't change speed the faster the car is moving and G6 does not have a drive shaft because it is FWD.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
feathered tire tread would be my guess, its tone changes only a little in turns where a bearing has a far larger change in tone.

some tire tread designs are just really prone to making noise with even minor feathering.

the pirrelli tires i got for 20$ on the 25$ dodge make noise constantly, then i flip em L to right (rear tires are two different sizes so0 i leave em back there) they are loud as fuck then it goes away after 2-3k then starts getting loud again.

lesrockyal

Oct 2, 2012
have the same problem with my 07 G6 GT couple....6 speed. The proppeller sound apparantly is the axle hanger bearing needs replaced. Being looked at right now. GM wants you to buy the whole unit which should not be necessary. Heard there might have been a recall but can't find out. My vehicle only has 78k km or 45k miles. It would be covered under power train warranty 5 years and under. Unfortunately I'm over the 5.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
UPDATE:

Changed the entire wheel hub assembly. Nothing has changed.

Buzzing (tone/pitch) still there and increases under speed. It also gets louder when I swerve to the left, when I swerve right it becomes less.

I can also feel the buzzing in the steering wheel and in the accel. pedal.

Anymore ideas? I also rotated the tires, so it has nothing to do with the tire that was on the front left, or the wheel hub/bearing. Next....

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
^ the buzzing is only from the front right (from inside the car), so that was the hub I changed. When I swerve to the left, obviously the front right loads up and dips so it gets louder.

I tried looking at anything that would rub against the wheel but still no dice. Struts and springs are good, and looked around the tire and nothing was touching it.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Buzzing noise from front end - Car Forums and Automotive Chat

It *was* the opposing hub/bearing. I replaced the right side unit with the old one from the left side. Not proper, perhaps -- but le$$.

Sure is nice to have that sound GONE, and with relative ease. Of course, I
cross-threaded the top caliper bolt when putting it back on and can now only turn it a few times before it stops -- but I suppose that's what tap/die kits are for :)

So, given my experience, I'd suggest this to anyone with this buzzing... if turning the wheel in a certain direction reduces or eliminates the noise, replace the hub/bearing on the side you turn toward.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info