replace rod bearing when doing bolts

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
so while i have the engine out of the car and doing cam and heads it was recommended to change out the rod bolts. since i dont want my shit to break i bought some bolts and bearings. but after some more reading i saw that it may be recommended to NOT change bearings unless im have the rods machined or something. ive never been in this deep on a car so i am unsure.

so should i replace the bearing when i replace the rod bolts, or just run with stock bearings?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
oem bearings nowadays are predominately aluminum, aftermarket babbit type bearings offer better embedability but lack good cold/dry start wear that the oem bearings have.

id reuse them if they dont show more than a slight polish to em,

be carefull with cracked cap rods as any oil/carbon on the edges of the split will get sucked into the crack when the bolt is loosened so maybe clean it quick before cracking the bolts loose if you have decent varnish buildup

do not use rags use clean paper and compressed air at the most.
prep and lube everything beforhand and cover to minimize open time that everything is exposed to dust int he air

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
What rod bolts are you using? If you use ARP's they have more clamping force than stock and can oval the end of the rod cap. This can cause your bearing to wear unevenly. The kaltechs are stronger, but do not put more load on the cap. They say if you use the ARP's you should have the rods resized with new bearings.

I researched all of this when I did my rod bolts. I went with the Katechs and everything that I read said to do one bolt at a time and to not even disturb the end cap.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info