Highway vs All Terrain tires on SUV

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
My Tahoe has a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires on it... I am wondering if this truck will suck in the snow. I know it has 4x4, but tires still can make a world of a difference.

Would it be worth it for me to upgrade to a A/T tire? This car will not see off-road (I don't think its that capable stock) but will see alot of unplowed snow covered roads in northern Wisconsin this winter.

I don't want a loud ride, or even more horrible gas mileage, would buying a A/T tire make a difference this winter? The tires on the truck now are nearly new.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I loved having a/t's on my suburban and wuldn't have traded them for the world when i was trying to get somewhere with my trailer behind me... i had some hankooks iirc and they were just fucking awesome- did everything amazing.

those tires imo won't be the greatest in deeper snow... or wet snow... before i had my a/ts i had some h/l tires on my burban and the thing was on casters basically in the snow.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Depends on the type of snow really. My BFG ATs were good in loose softer snow, even +2ft deep, but on packed wet snow on the road they would get filled up and suck worse than a regular tire imo. If this hoe is gunna stay on the road I would stick with all-season truck tires, esp since you have them and they are newish. IF they suck come winter then look for something else.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Mike, get an extra set of stock wheels (16" or 17") and buy a set of snow tires. It'll be worth it. Your gonna have to sacrifice something if you switch to a harder/luggier A/T tire over a Highway one.

Just saying that as an option too. I have hankook winter tires and they are great. Here's a cheap option.

Firestone Winterforce UV

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
and they looked good on your Burb.
when i replaced the stock BFG rugged trails on my truck, i purchased the same size that came on the truck.

although the tires from the manufacturer were P rated and the dura tracs are an LT tire.
they have deeper tread and are a touch wider that the wheels, about 1/2"

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
misc349.jpg

misc348.jpg

misc347.jpg

misc346.jpg

you can kind of tell from these pictures the "lip" the tires have....kind of like a rim guard almost.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I guess it would also depend if you had the room for storage. You go up in the back woods of Wisconsin so it would be better to have some reliable grip though.

I have plenty of room for storage. Just seems silly to buy a set of snow tires for a 4x4 truck.

edit*
just googled the tires on your truck......... :ugh:

i would look into an A/T if you are going to be in Wisconsin

I forgot what model they are but I just listed the family/class. Either way they just look like a car tire with alot more thread. Thats why im wondering if they would be epic fail in the snow.

Since they are new(er) id probably just run them this winter and see what the deal is, but I wanted to hear other opinions.

amazza76

Sep 7, 2012
FWIW, My 05 2wd burb w/ stablitrack had no trouble with snow for 4 winters on BFG long trail touring. Now the tread depth is to a point wear I am losing traction in snow so I will be getting new tires before winter. I would not hesitate to put the same tires on again...relatively cheap, decent life, quiet tire and no problem with towing my enclosed sled trailer up to the UP and back a dozen or so times.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info