Fresh Paint Maintenance

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Long story short: Douchebag backed into my mustang. The hood had a small dent fixed and painted and evidently the shop re-cleared the entire hood. Shop did a so-so job of fixing the car (took it back twice and they only got it close to good). My car just needs a good detail to fix it up nice.

If you gents would be so kind to help, I have a couple of questions. First, how long do I have to wait until I run my car through a hands free car wash? The one I usually go to down the street includes the basic pre-soak/wash/wax and is very thorough.

Second, how long should I wait to have my car detailed? My buddy Danny, ldyzluvdis06, is going to hook me up with a full detail and I didn't know how long I have to put this off. I was hoping to get it done before winter here, but this BS happened a few days before I was supposed to get it detailed.

If I am missing something let me know. My car was picked up from the detailer on 8/23. Thanks for the help.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
when i had the bumper on my sonic replaced after the drunk driving massacre in my front lawn, the shop said i could take it through car washes just no paste type waxes or sealants for 90 days, id ask the body shop u had it at, but from u said it seems as if they dont know their ass from a hole in the ground

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
You can use a glaze right after the car is painted because it allows the paint to breathe.
You can use a wax or sealent after 30 days. Why do you want to go through a touchless so bad? Do you not have a hose at home or just dont like washing the car? There are so many options that are much better.
The thing about touchless washes is that they strip any wax you do have off the car. Second they dont get everything off and then when you use a towel to dry it you are grinding that dirr into the paint creating swirls

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
The touchless is my best option or at least i feel thay way. I used to only hand wash my cars but that changed when i moved to my current place. I dont have any cover at my house and my driveway is covered by trees that drop a lot of shit. I hand washed and waxed my subaru a couple of times and due to all the shit that drops out of the sky crap ended up putting a bunch of swirl marks in the paint by the time i was done... I am anal as shit when it comes to washing and waxing so this pissed me off.

I have kept this car spotless and swirl mark free for one year now by using the touchless down the road. I know what you guys are saying, but I feel my options are limited and the wash down the road really does a great job. I usually just do 5-10 min of fine detailing when i get home in the garage.

I just took a road trip to chicago last weekend and need to clean the hood pretty bad. I know i can wash the rest of the car since the hood is the only thing that was painted but i didnt know what i could and could not ge away with at the car wash. I have just been spraying the car off with water only so far.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I would wait. and wait some more. paint is weird.

my paint was still "soft" last week after my car was painted 5-6 months ago and my car sees the sun quite often.

it did just get wet sanded and buffed again and looks fucking amazing.

Yea wet sanding opens the clear back up and basically re-activates it.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
You can use a glaze or Wizards products that will let the paint breathe, wait like two months to wax and seal. Don't be surprised that after you take you car through the wast you see swirl marks because the soap will wash away the oils in the compounds that fill in the swirl marks. That's if they did a shitty job buffing.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
no hands free car wash is ever thorough...

it should be fine as long as the clear has been baked(which every body shop will do...hopefully) you should have nothing to worry about

Not true. Even after baking the paint is dry to the touch but it is not cured and done gassing off. Baking speeds the process of drying up, but if you let the paint dry slower it will look better in the end. Yes we bake 95% of what we do but when we do a complete paint job we let the car air dry for about 2 days before wet sand and buff.

Also, baking paint does not make it dry "harder" either

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
The touchless is my best option or at least i feel thay way. I used to only hand wash my cars but that changed when i moved to my current place. I dont have any cover at my house and my driveway is covered by trees that drop a lot of shit. I hand washed and waxed my subaru a couple of times and due to all the shit that drops out of the sky crap ended up putting a bunch of swirl marks in the paint by the time i was done... I am anal as shit when it comes to washing and waxing so this pissed me off.

I have kept this car spotless and swirl mark free for one year now by using the touchless down the road. I know what you guys are saying, but I feel my options are limited and the wash down the road really does a great job. I usually just do 5-10 min of fine detailing when i get home in the garage.

I just took a road trip to chicago last weekend and need to clean the hood pretty bad. I know i can wash the rest of the car since the hood is the only thing that was painted but i didnt know what i could and could not ge away with at the car wash. I have just been spraying the car off with water only so far.

Do yourself (and your car) a favor and purchase a product called "Optimum no rinse". It's about $16 a bottle. Also get a "grit guard", 2 home depot 5 gallon buckets and a quality chenille wash mitt and some waffle weave towels. This should not cost you more than $50. From then on out all you need is 4 gallons of water to wash your car and be swirl free. I can't tell you enough how awesome this stuff is for someone who lives in an apartment or doesn't have access to a contiunous flow of water. One bottle will last you an entire summer and it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to wash the car.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Not true. Even after baking the paint is dry to the touch but it is not cured and done gassing off. Baking speeds the process of drying up, but if you let the paint dry slower it will look better in the end. Yes we bake 95% of what we do but when we do a complete paint job we let the car air dry for about 2 days before wet sand and buff.

Also, baking paint does not make it dry "harder" either

My car wasn't baked. Should have said that

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info