need car guy opinion

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Im in a pickle here. I have 2 options. Im currently in the middle of a rebuild on my car. Pulled the engine, upgrading fuel system and oil lines, clutch, and most electrical for interior. plus new tune

1. Get everything done by winter so i can drive it before it snows. Which means getting 'alright parts' for it and not the better ones. Slap the stuff together and see how it goes. Have fun before the snow comes and put it away for winter.

2. Get 'good parts', and keep the car on jack stands through winter and save up for the good parts through out the season. Since i have all season everything would be done right the 1st time without worry of going back and possibly doing it again. Pretty much, more time more money.

I really want #1 because i havent driven the car for most of the summer. But #2 seems more logical but again its more money more time.

chry*bmb

You're a waste of my gas...
Apr 16, 2008
TN
I'm not a guy, but #2. You can get the good parts and save $ a few different ways. It will get done correctly by not rushing, you'll have the better parts, and you can save on insurance by having the vehicle in storage mode. It's a win-win situation. Why "rush it" just to putz around in it before the seasons change? To save a C note or two?

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
#2. I'm doing this with my jet ski right now. I could have done a quick piston swap and carb cleaning for ~$400 but instead I've been squirreling away parts for a few months (including an entire second jet ski) and have since spent about $900. I'm gunna go from a base model 750cc, to a decently modded 780cc motor, tear down EVERYTHING and clean it, new gaskets, everything. Because I have taken my time and waited for deals, I was able to take the parts I need off the second ski, and sell the remainders and now, because I took the extra time, It's actually going to cost me about the same amount to do the 780 build as it would have to do the 750 repair, except that now I have an practically brand new machine, and I'll gain ~10mph on my top end.

Do it thorough and right if you have the oportunity to. Just make sure you spend the extra time cleaning, painting, and freshening up everything you can cheaply while you're in there.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
I do have a pile of aftermarket parts that need to be sold that could help my funds big time. I do plan on cleaning the entire engine. Just bought some degreaser today. And i have a whole engine gasket kit to replace every single one so that would take some time. I just hope i dont lose motivation in the winter time because well, its winter. And good point on the insurance thing.

chry*bmb

You're a waste of my gas...
Apr 16, 2008
TN
Well, see, what else is there to do in the winter when you can't be out driving causing trouble?? Be in the garage making the car better ,)

Already have our winter projects planned here too. These damn cars are just evil period. Been trying to sell parts and that's just not going anywhere, so will have to think of something else...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info