RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
2004 Excursion 6.0 77k

I noticed the overflow bottle had coolant on it and took off the cap to realize that the tank is being pressurized. So I figured the cap was bad. So we replaced it with one from Napa but it was a non clicker type. I wasnt sure if it was a defect but just ran with it. Well two weeks later I go to check it and it still pressuring. So today I replaced it with a clicker type cap and we'll see how it goes.

Im just wondering if this is the tell tale sign of the head gone bad

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
that tank is suppose to be under pressure. 16psi to be exact.

if your headgaskets or egr cooler blew, you would be spewing coolant out, or consuming it.

like this:
888d1177523440-puking-antifreeze-after-second-day-ownership-f250_017.jpg

on the flip side, it would also puke if you over filled the degauss bottle.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
t in a gauge at the smaller degas bottle hose. watch how quickly she builds up pressure. Take it down the highway nice and hot, do a few long wot runs and see how much pressure you get... Anything over 16 is most likely headgaskets. Although in Excursions, I notice the heating system doesnt work well do to the extra heater core in the rear. air gets trapped and you only get hot air out the vents while driving or revving up.

you could also take the egr valve out, jack up rear of truck, start it and see if egr port shoots out coolant. but you need to have someone inside ready to shut it down, you can hydrolock...

But I thought you said you deleted EGR?

The problem I see here is low milege. carbon builds up inbetween the gaskets and they spread.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
No I do not work at a dealer. Unplugging the EGR valve is no where near a delete. Coolant will still find its way in. your actually doing more harm than anything by allowing extreme temperatures to sit in the cooler and bake it instead of being released into intake. throttle plate doesnt harm anything unless its broken. but if you engine wasnt completely bogging down and the plate sprung back it was fine.

I do not work at a dealer, but every aftermarket warranty was a joke. It was always some fucking joker coming in, asking you to boil the thermostat and monitor temperature when it opens. Funny thing is, they will cover one side of the head gasket job. If you cant prove both are messed up they will only cover whats failed. they are pricks and it usually takes WEEKS to get answers.

If you have a scanner, get her up to temperature and cruise @ 60MPH and read your Engine coolant temp VS your engine oil temp.. no more than 15*. If oil is that much hotter, chances are its just the egr cooler

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Fuuuu Okay. Remember this isnt my truck but my housemates (BrianG) truck. I do know someone who works at a dealer and am going to see what he says. When we were offered the warranty I check over everything diesel specific to find out what it does and doesnt include and it seemed legit.

Luckily Brian has more than one car. But the truck is going to be a winter car.

As far as the EGR delete. The mod that we did was in refference to reading up on forums and going by thier instructions. We had the coolant purge from the coolant tank prior to doing this. It recomended taking the throttle plate out and just unplugging the EGR. No SES light has popped up like we were told.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info