HID problem?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I had a wiring harness melt randomly on me. Thankfully those hid harnesses are like $10 and I used one. It would have sucked to melt my stock wiring.

It could have had moisture in it and finally corroded enough to start becoming a high resistance point. It's not like they're high quality pieces.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
x2
a few drops of saltwater will wick its way into the wire strands and start to work real quick with all those electrons moving, then you removed the harness and reinstalled it and the strands got even weaker and then it melts through from resistance.

this sorta corrosion hard to detect till it reaches its failure point, fucks up sensor signals like no other...only they dont have enough current draw to actually melt

best you can do is use a fully sealed system and minimize water intrusion.

those hid harness's suck, sold both of mine, built custom system using all weatherpack connectors and 50amp caddy relays for the semi since a failure is a HUGE ticket on a commercial vehicle

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Factory wiring might not be able to handle the 55w system, not a lot of cars can especially the already strained GM electrical systems. Get an upgraded harness like one from theretrofitsource.com switch to a 35W system and make triple sure your grounds are on bare metal.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
My factory headlights are 55w :dunno:

If he was running an aftermarket harness for it then the stock wiring is simply being used to switch on the ballasts which don't require anymore power then ones that are for 35w.

I'd just buy another harness for it or do like James and make you're own harness.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
The power surge for ignition of the HIDs can sometimes triple the normal power of the system on initial start up, which is when the factory wiring is being used and most factory wiring can't handle that surge repeatedly. If a relay harness isn't adequate, isn't good quality or has a defect or is installed even slightly wrong it will amplify the problems caused by using HIDs ballasts and overheats the factory wiring until the power has time to dissipate. HIDs and HID relays are designed (or should be) to absorb the extra heat faster to protect the factory wiring but that's not always the case. Larger gauge wiring in the relay harness or a double relay on the harness will help immensely and is worth the extra money for the added insurance to keep you car from going Chernobyl.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Thank you for the input everyone. Yeah I transferred them from impala to this car, never crimped wiring and made sure everything was dry before install (sat in garage for week or two until being put on here.

x2
a few drops of saltwater will wick its way into the wire strands and start to work real quick with all those electrons moving, then you removed the harness and reinstalled it and the strands got even weaker and then it melts through from resistance.

this sorta corrosion hard to detect till it reaches its failure point, fucks up sensor signals like no other...only they dont have enough current draw to actually melt

best you can do is use a fully sealed system and minimize water intrusion.

those hid harness's suck, sold both of mine, built custom system using all weatherpack connectors and 50amp caddy relays for the semi since a failure is a HUGE ticket on a commercial vehicle
Would you be willing to help me make a harness that won't fail on me? I will make it worth your time. Whether dollars or booze.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Factory wiring might not be able to handle the 55w system, not a lot of cars can especially the already strained GM electrical systems. Get an upgraded harness like one from theretrofitsource.com switch to a 35W system and make triple sure your grounds are on bare metal.

My Impala ran 55w low beams and 35w fog lamps, in this car I used the 55w as high beams and 35w as low beams.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007

I'm looking at the site you linked.. do you have their harness?

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I'm looking at the site you linked.. do you have their harness?

Yes I do. I have the heavy duty harness on my lows and another that's going on my fogs this weekend. The quality is the best I've ever seen and I've dealt with a lot of harnesses and HID kits. The ballasts are metal cases (which I silicone the seams but you don't need to), braided wire wraps on the harnesses and stainless braid on the ballasts, bigger terminal connectors on heavier gauge wiring thru everything.

Top of the pic is a "off the shelf" harness with one relay. Bottom one is the heavy duty double relay harness from theretrofitsource and have an LED on each to show power supply. Double relay and better fused connections on one harness.
639eaeb5-7474-daac.jpg

Left is the retrofitsource harness with braided wire covering and thicker gauge wires. Right is the "off the shelf" type most people get off eBay for around $40
639eaeb5-74f3-588c.jpg

Left is the retrofitsource ballast in a metal case with the stainless wire cover and most importantly an extension on the ballast wires so you can point them down in case water gets inside it will drain out. Right is the Xentec kit most people get off eBay which are pure garbage IMO.
639eaeb5-755e-982f.jpg

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Do you use brights often? I'd just put halogens in them personally.

He's right. Unless you have a quad light conversion for your high beams TAKE THEM OUT!!! It takes a few seconds for HIDs to warm up and work at full power which renders them useless for flash to pass and could leave you in the dark if you transfer from high beams to low and you can't see shit until either of them warm up. You might want to look into LED high beam bulbs for your highs but they're expensive and Silverstars would work just fine if you don't use your brights very often.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I had 55W ballasts running 5000 HIDs in my high beam slot and 35W ballasts running 5000 HIDs in my low beam slot.

The low beams still worked fine after this.. so..

On the Impala, I had the low beams and fogs.. never had this issue.

What could've caused the harness running the high beam HID's to burn through in one spot??

I had to read this 4 times to figure out what you were trying to say. You'd think someone with 300k posts could post something that makes sense.

He's right. Unless you have a quad light conversion for your high beams TAKE THEM OUT!!! It takes a few seconds for HIDs to warm up and work at full power which renders them useless for flash to pass and could leave you in the dark if you transfer from high beams to low and you can't see shit until either of them warm up. You might want to look into LED high beam bulbs for your highs but they're expensive and Silverstars would work just fine if you don't use your brights very often.

This, only way I would rock HID highs would be to have your lows stay on when you kick on the highs.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
And for Gods sake re-aim your lights when you put HIDs in them so you don't completely blind people going the other way. Bad beam patterns and ridiculous blueish or purple lights is going to make the lawmakers pass a law to make aftermarket HIDs illegal. A few states have already passed laws banning HIDs in cars that didn't come FACTORY EQUIPPED and I'm sure this crooked ass state won't be far behind.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
im sure you can figure out how to make your own setup, its not exactly rocket surgery, its a single or dual relay system, just spend extra time to get and use junkyard weatherpack connectors for small and large gauge shit, solder, rtv/liquid tape/gummy shrinkwrap em, early gm cooling fan connectors, 2 and 4 wire connectors, etc etc.

as much as i hate that god damn piece of shit volvo truck at least it has fucking projectors even if the fuckers only put halogens in most since they wanted over 1100$ for factory hid conversion and chassis module reprogramming.
fuckers

and no fuckin way you need higher than 5k, assholes, you know who you are...

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Thank you for the input everyone. Yeah I transferred them from impala to this car, never crimped wiring and made sure everything was dry before install (sat in garage for week or two until being put on here.

Would you be willing to help me make a harness that won't fail on me? I will make it worth your time. Whether dollars or booze.

I have an extra harness. When I got replacement bulbs they are made to just plug into the ballasts.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Do you use brights often? I'd just put halogens in them personally.
yeah, actually.

I actually ended up using the HID high beams quite a few times and enjoyed the fact I had them there, that's why I want to figure out how to make it work in the HI/LO's without any issue and safely.

when I needed the highs, I'd pull the stalk back halfway to engage the highs and when they warmed up I'd do the full switch over. Could that have done it somehow??

And for Gods sake re-aim your lights when you put HIDs in them so you don't completely blind people going the other way. Bad beam patterns and ridiculous blueish or purple lights is going to make the lawmakers pass a law to make aftermarket HIDs illegal. A few states have already passed laws banning HIDs in cars that didn't come FACTORY EQUIPPED and I'm sure this crooked ass state won't be far behind.
The first thing I did when I put them in my Impala was aim the lamps lower, as well as the buick.

Lows

2012-07-31025125.jpg

Highs

2012-07-31025136.jpg

im sure you can figure out how to make your own setup, its not exactly rocket surgery, its a single or dual relay system, just spend extra time to get and use junkyard weatherpack connectors for small and large gauge shit, solder, rtv/liquid tape/gummy shrinkwrap em, early gm cooling fan connectors, 2 and 4 wire connectors, etc etc.

as much as i hate that god damn piece of shit volvo truck at least it has fucking projectors even if the fuckers only put halogens in most since they wanted over 1100$ for factory hid conversion and chassis module reprogramming.
fuckers

and no fuckin way you need higher than 5k, assholes, you know who you are...
I don't even know how to solder a wire.. :hs:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info