Truck Shopping

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I haven't made one of these threads in a while :ugh:.

Been shopping for a tow rig/winter vehicle for the past few weeks, and have test driven a number of different ones.

Pre-requisites:

2007+
Under $14K
V-8 (7000+ towing capacity)
LSD rear end or 4wd.
NOT WHITE (no service trucks)

So far I've driven:
07 Durango (AWD 4.7)
06 Jeep Commander (4WD V6)
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee (4WD 4.7 V8)
07 Ram super cab (2WD 4.7)
03 Explorer (Just to see how it rode etc).

The Durango driving position was pretty horrid IMO, felt like I was driving a mini-van, so I will not look at any more of those.

The Jeep Commanders styling was too funky/boxy for Miss Esa to tolerate being seen in (as she will be driving it too, and I gave her Veto rights).

The Grand Cherokee I liked quite a bit (Comfy, lots of luxury features, V-8 power in a smaller package), but it is rather small on the inside, (and again, Miss Esa didn't really like the size of it). Also I feel like a 5 seater SUV tow-rig doesn't make complete sense (I think I want a Bed, or 7 seats).

The Explorer is my friends, and I like it quite a bit, but again, hard to find a V-8 07+ Explorer for reasonable $.

The Ram I drove (Despite being 2wd, and the smaller V8) we both liked the most, and I may make an offer on it (Clean example, felt perfect, good price, etc).

Anything else I'm missing that meets the criteria?

4X4 Rams, and 5.7 powered rams seem to have a pretty serious premium, and I'd only really be towing the Bimmer or the Miata anyways (which the 4.7 could handle just fine).

Anything to look for or avoid on this generation of Rams/4.7/Trans?

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Have you considered a Ranger?

It had to be said, I am just getting it out of the way.

I like the GC the best. I have the burb and have never had more than 3 people in it (including driver). I like covered storage. Anything that doesn't fit goes on the trailer. I wish I had the mpgs of a smaller SUV so I could drive it more. If I was to switch up I would be looking long and hard at GCs. Preferably with the I6, but I would take a V8 for the extra towing capacity.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yup. I was thinking xterra but only 5k tow rating.

Miss Esa traded in her Tacoma for the Miata because of the limited rating of the Tacoma (and shit MPG despite being a V-6).

The Taco was 'technically' rated for 6,500, but because it is still a 'compact' truck, towing a car can become very hairy, and hard on the clutch.

We decided if we are going to have a truck, we MPG's can be a sacrifice so long as it is capable. There may be times where there is a motorcycle or two in the bed as well WHILE towing, which is completely outside of the Tacomas capacity anyways.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info