Engine advice

Thanks to everyone's help here, I am going to be getting a fiero within the next week, but the stock 2.8L V6 does have a couple problems. The previous owner states that he replaced the connected rod bearings and he either did it wrong or used really cheap ones. My guess is that the entire bottom would have to be rebuilt(maybe I'm wrong).

So I obviously have a couple options where I can go with this,
1. Rebuild the engine/just the lower half
2. Replace the rod bearings
3. Swap something else instead

I will admit that I've never done a rebuild or a swap before so this is completely new to me, but I am willing to try. If the option did come down to a swap, would it be recommended to rebuild it or could I let that go for a while?

Thanks!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Oh all of you back down. V6 this, V6 that -

Go to the junk yard and get a 350. Make friends with Archie and blow everything else off the road.

V-8 Fiero

V6's are for pussies.

( 8 V8's in my driveway)

from the wording of his post he wasnt sounding like he wanted a huge project which is far from the best idea for someone just getting into those sorta in depth mods.

how? you can't just bolt a w subframe in with everything in minus a fiero steering bar?

cause the 3.1MPFI/3100/3400 is the direct decendant of the 2.8MPFI and everything bolts on and plugs right in minus just a couple details.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
from the wording of his post he wasnt sounding like he wanted a huge project which is far from the best idea for someone just getting into those sorta in depth mods.

Did you LOOK at Archie's kit? Comically easy. If you are good enough to just change a motor - any motor, you are good enough for this upgrade.

I've met many of these cars, converted by their owners, and they weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer if you know what I mean.

This guy's stuff is really easy to work with in my experiences.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yes i have, ive seen cars with some of his first swap parts to his newer boltin setups. he's ironed out alot of the kinks over the years

still doesnt seem like what this guy is asking for.

yes by spending the $ on his kit and a 350 he can do it, but without him also dumping money into the trans, no stock used 4t60/284 getrag is gonna last long....unless its the pretty anemic 4.9 v8 or 305 he swaps in there

yes i have, ive seen cars with some of his first swap parts to his newer boltin setups. he's ironed out alot of the kinks over the years

still doesnt seem like what this guy is asking for.

yes by spending the $ on his kit and a 350 he can do it, but without him also dumping money into the trans, no stock used 4t60/284 getrag is gonna last long....unless its the pretty anemic 4.9 v8 or 305 he swaps in there

Once again, thank you for all of the help everyone. That kit is a lot, I do wish I had a lot more money for this stuff, but there's not a lot I can do. Ideally I want to make my first swap as easy as possible, while not murdering my bank account.

Fix what's broken and boost it?

that would be ideal, except I'm afraid of what has been damaged from the poor installation of the rod bearings.

Overall I got the advice that I was really looking for, I just need to do a little more homework about what I'm swapping instead of attempting to rebuild it.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

I have a H/C/I Ford 302 mated to the stock 4-speed trans in my Fiero and its been fine, even with getting beat to shit :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info