Im starting to get angry.....

Dewey Cox

Gen1 Lt1 Guru
Jul 22, 2012
Aurora
Real Name
Dale
Ugh....where do I begin!

Some people know I've been in the market for another car to tinker on and have fun with. My challenger is too hard on the pockets when it breaks,and is just more fun to just cruise,rather then race it. So I decided it was time to find another street car. Something newer,cheaper,etc.

After narrowing my wants down to either a Sn95 Mustang,or a Lt1 fbody,it was time to keep watching,and find the right deal. With a new baby on the way,my budget isn't huge,so I was mainly looking for a clean,stock car! Simple enough right?!

With the help of good friends,a GREAT DEAL was brought to my attention. Me and my wife drive over an hour to look at a very clean,decently built,priced right mustang. After looking the car over,driving it,etc we decide this is the one. The owner had to get some extra stuff that came with the car,and I wanted to get my truck and trailer.

So after agreed upon price,we wrote a bill of sale for both parties,and I left a deposit on the car so it wouldn't go anywhere. We both agreed that I'd pick the car up Tuesday,and all the spare stuff,and pay the remaining balance. I was stoked!

Well the owner calls me tonight,wanting my address to bring me back my deposit. He sold the car today for his asking price,and didn't even give me a chance to match it. Really pissed me off! I'm not gonna push the issue,and I'm not bashing him.

I just had to vent,and I'm back to square one again! It's all ready august,is like to enjoy a new toy before winter hits. Not including,I'm back to trying to decide what I want again. Very frustrating to me!

Thanks for listening. Should I just wait to next year,or keep looking?

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Well the owner calls me tonight,wanting my address to bring me back my deposit. He sold the car today for his asking price,and didn't even give me a chance to match it. Really pissed me off! I'm not gonna push the issue,and I'm not bashing him.

That is some low down bullshit. That is the entire purpose of the deposit. I hate dipshits like that. Usually some young dumb kid who doesn't know what protocol and common courtesy are. I feel your pain man. Be patient and a better deal will probably come around the corner.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I've had that happen a few times. Keep looking, one will come around. I have been in a situation as a seller where a car is "bought" and removed from sale, only to have it fall through. If I was shown the cash, nbd. But I've learned to not hold an item either.

That's what non-refundable deposits are for. If I take deposit as understanding of taking the car off of the market then I am making it clear that if the deal falls through due to buyer negligence then the deposit will not be refunded. This weeds out the idiots who cannot stick with a decision or who are incapable of understanding their financial situation before they agree to a big purchase. Serious buyers usually don't mind.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
That's what non-refundable deposits are for. If I take deposit as understanding of taking the car off of the market then I am making it clear that if the deal falls through due to buyer negligence then the deposit will not be refunded. This weeds out the idiots who cannot stick with a decision or who are incapable of understanding their financial situation before they agree to a big purchase. Serious buyers usually don't mind.

I do the same.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
Ugh....where do I begin!
So after agreed upon price,we wrote a bill of sale for both parties,and I left a deposit on the car so it wouldn't go anywhere. We both agreed that I'd pick the car up Tuesday,and all the spare stuff,and pay the remaining balance. I was stoked!

THIS!

Legally, that car was yours. If you wanted to push it, you can make him sell it to you for the agreed upon price or pay the difference between his car and a comparable one for sale elsewhere.

It wouldn't be worth getting a lawyer and going to court but none-the-less, the seller broke a binding contract with you.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
THIS!

Legally, that car was yours. If you wanted to push it, you can make him sell it to you for the agreed upon price or pay the difference between his car and a comparable one for sale elsewhere.

It wouldn't be worth getting a lawyer and going to court but none-the-less, the seller broke a binding contract with you.

True. If I were you Dewey I would at least give the guy a hard time so he understands that it is a dick move to do that. Threatening with lawsuit over a binding contract may get through as well; regardless of your true intention. To me it would be worth it to teach the asshole a lesson.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info