Would you guys buy a used cam?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Im looking at a couple of different camshafts right now and have found some used ones for half of or less than half of the same cam new. I know a lot of you guys here dont even have cams, but Im sure you know someone.

Price wise I am looking at $175-200 picked up or shipped versus $375-425 brand new plus shipping.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I do not like buying used cams... Countless tales of scams on sites like honda-tech with people being sent stockers, or cams out of 'similar' motors just so they didn't look like stock cams (for example selling a cam out of a D16Y8 motor as a 'performance' cam for a D16Z6 for those that understand that...)

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Its a cam from vengance racing. The VRX3 to be specific. 224/228 .581/.588 114 LSA
Im looking at that one, the thunder racing 224/227 .563/.569 114 LSA, and the AFR 6016 cam which is nearly identical to the VRX3. As far as HP/TQ numbers for these its just splitting hairs and wont be more than a couple either way.

Last edited:

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Its a cam from vengance racing. The VRX3 to be specific. 224/228 .581/.588 114 LSA
Im looking at that one, the thuner racing 224/227 .563/.569 114 LSA, and the AFR 6016 cam which is nearly identical to the VRX3. As far as HP/TQ numbers for these its just splitting hairs and wont be more than a couple either way.

Gonna lose some more low end and have more of a peaky power band with that vengeance racing cam, but as long as you have good pics and or get to see it before buying it then I don't see a problem. Just be sure it isn't scored, not only on the lobes but on the journals.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
i wouldnt worry about it, as long as you get pics of the lobes and engravings on the cam you shouldnt have a problem.
those cams look nasty, btw.

Not really nasty at all, considered DD cams to most of the LS world. Chrisco, I am going with a 3600 stall when I get the transmission done come springtime, so losing some low end wont be too big of a deal. Not to mention I can spray it out of the hole too.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
No, if it's a wearable part I wouldn't

How many miles do engines rack up on them...? 100... 200... 300k miles? Cam failure is most definitely not one of the most common reasons for an engine crapping out. As long as it's in good shape when you install it and everything is done correctly, there's no reason why you should be afraid of using a used cam that has nearly no mileage on it.

BluBeaSSt

TCG Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Kansas City Mo
How many miles do engines rack up on them...? 100... 200... 300k miles? Cam failure is most definitely not one of the most common reasons for an engine crapping out. As long as it's in good shape when you install it and everything is done correctly, there's no reason why you should be afraid of using a used cam that has nearly no mileage on it.

:rollpicard:

If your gonna go to the trouble of swapping cam's you shouldn't be cheap and go buy a used cam, just buy new. It's worth the money when you dont have to worry about what the part has been threw.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
:rollpicard:

If your gonna go to the trouble of swapping cam's you shouldn't be cheap and go buy a used cam, just buy new. It's worth the money when you dont have to worry about what the part has been threw.

:picard:

Conversely, if you know there's nothing wrong with the cam, there's no point in wasting money on something just because it's 'new.' People swap cams all the time. Using a cam that has been in another engine isn't being cheap, it's being resourceful, as long as it isn't a junk cam to begin with. Just give it a good inspection before you purchase it.

I will agree that it's risky business and probably not wise to purchase a used cam from someone that you don't know or can't see in person before purchasing. It's no different than purchasing anything, really, just be smart about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info