Calling a car by its Chassis code, Generation, Model/Year?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Brief rant:

It drives be bananas when people call their early 90's Civics "EG's", and their 240SX's Silvias, or S13's.

Seems to be far more common in the import community where they post on boards/forums "Check out my tyte S13 yo!", and I reply with "Why don't you just call it a 240 SX". Of course this leads to a debate about "well not everyone knows the difference between an S13 240, and S14 240, and my reply is always the same "Then it's a 1990 240SX, It's not an S13, it's not a 'Silvia', You drive a fucking 1990 Nissan 240 SX".

If I posted on any enthusiast forum a picture of my Mustang and said "Check out my sweet S197 Yo", I'd feel like a total tool, and most people can gather the make, model, and generation from that picture anyways.

Cliffs:
You drive a 1990 Nissan 240SX, not a goddamned S13 or Silvia....

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
452f9499-ae77-d870.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I knew this was coming, I seen your rant on FB :bowrofl:

The arguments they are bringing up were just STUPID..

random dude - "well the difference between Mk3 and Mk4 Supra's is huge"

Me - "But people simply call them by their year, they don't call them by CHASSIS codes"

random dude - "Well Evo's get called Evo 8, 9, 10 Etc"

Me - "That's because they are fucking CALLED "Mitsubishi Evollution 8-9-10's", Still not a fucking chassis code."

They don't post pics and say "check out my cool CT9A", I learned that's the Evo8 Chassis today, but not a single fuck was given...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I think the supra example is valid tho. I use mkiv sometimes.

TOTALLY agree, but that's by generation, and apparently Mark3's have 3 different chassis codes alone:

MA70
GA70
JZA70

And the differences between Mk3's and MkIV's is massive across the board.

but for 240SX's especially It's like they use the chassis codes because otherwise you wouldn't know the difference.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
If or Into tho cars it helps a lot. In your case of " check out my xxx" it doesn't help. But in a for sale post it could, if u say u have a 240sx for sale, first question is year and body style. S13 hatch/coupe or s14.

Saturn did it on their trim levels instead of a chassis code. Sc1 is coupe single can, sw2 is wagon dohc.

Domestic normally do engines codes vs chassis but same theory. Also f/g/w body. They are huge selection of cars in a g body. C5 or c6 vette is another thing I read a lot. Its not much different then s13. If or in the circle you know, if not you click and find out.

I don't use this myself. A smart seller would post everything the car is known as. So it would be 1990 Nissan 240sx s13.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
If I posted on any enthusiast forum a picture of my Mustang and said "Check out my sweet S197 Yo", I'd feel like a total tool, and most people can gather the make, model, and generation from that picture anyways.

Allot of us in the Mustang community call them Fox Body, SN-95, New Edge, S197, etc.... It is common nomenclature. Using the year is fine too, but I never had any problem with someone referring to their car by chassis nickname or code.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
You know, to be honest I know where you're coming from Dasfinc.... If I'm among enthusiasts, it makes sense, or if it's a really common one (ie Z28), ok. But yes, especially when it matters, its a pain in the ass.

Today for example, a sales floor employee had trouble looking up a truck for a customer. I ask what kind of truck. 2012 Toyota Crew Max. Ok.... Tacoma, Tundra, Highlander...? Crew Max. Fantastic, what's the model?? I don't know, its a big truck with 4 doors. Walk outside to see if its some freak of nature with intent to VIN it, and it's a damn Tundra. "How will you know what it is, does it say somewhere...?" Well, to be honest, looks like a Tundra to me... Oh, I said it was a Tundra. No, you kept on saying it was a Crew Max.....
:snooppalm:

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
Its one thing if you're talking to other enthusiasts and say, 'I saw this sweet c5 z06'. I don't know enough about vette's to be able to tell you the year by looking at it, but I know a c5 when I see it. But its another thing if someone is selling a car and lists it as an S13 Silvia to try and get more attention. The people looking for it, know what it is, and they will find it if they want to.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
But something like z28 isn't a chassis code. F-body is a chassis code. Y-body is a chassis code. Nobody calls a c5z "my y-body"

Some cars it works, others it doesn't

This. I say f-body to refer to any camaro or trans am. I use fox, sn95, edge, s197 for the stangs. It works with some but not all I guess.
If I see a vette I know a c5 from a c6 but I really just care if it's fast or not

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info