Best/safest way to clean an engine?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I know we got some detailers here, and I'm not asking you to give away all your trade secrets, but after repeated exposure to dust storms my engine is FIL-THY. I've always been scared about using cleaners that require you to hose down the engine, but I fear that may be my only option at this point.

So, my question is how do you deal w/ a really dirty engine? Whats the best products/teqniques?

Go.

I actually just did that today. I was freaking out a lot like you are but its a lot simpler than you think. Just cover up all of the electronics/alternator and air filters and you'll be golden. I used the degreaser, then brushed the whole bay up, rinsed it down, and followed up with a protect layer spray. Looks a million times better, but I'll wait until tomorrow morning to see the finished product because it was dark when I was done :(

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
i would have to say my process is similar to everyone who has posted in here.

the gunk engine foam is good. I used to use CD-2 engine detailer....but i have heard / read in multiple places that it is no longer available. it's too bad if this is true.

i cover electrical wiring / harnesses / alternator etc with foil.

i use a leaf blower to dry as much of the heavy water....you can use a bucket with a rag/water to reach the difficult spots....and of course smaller brushes for the nooks and crannies.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
I do a little combo of what everyone else does here. I spray the motor and plastics down with an all purpose cleaner. The only difference between mine and everone elses is that mine is safe for the engine labels. So I agitate with brushes, let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse. If the alternator or coil packs are visible I cover them just to be safe since sometimes I work on other peoples cars and you never know what might be wrong with them.
Then I rinse everything off and dry with a leafblower like gav.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Well this all sounds good. While im still not quite convinced you dont need to cover anything in the engine at all (just call me cautious), it does make me feel better. Dont think i'll need a leaf blower to dry anything. I'll let the 106+ degree temps do that.

You don't need a leaf blower but it sure helps to prevent water stains or water pooling up anywhere for that matter.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
bahh... I just wet the engine all down, spray with simple green, let it sit for a couple minutes and give a little elbow grease to the really bad spots, then hose it off with a lot of water. Just drive any car in the rain and look under the hood right afterwards.. Everything is soaked under there with dirty water and it survives without being covered so I don't see the point in covering anything when I've cleaning it either.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
True. Im sure id try and dry up as much as I could w/ some old clean towels. The water out here is so horrible, even after I wash my car and dry it off i have to back over the whole car w/ quick detailer to get all the water spots/streaks out.

If you have hard water I would highly recommend this.
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products
All you need is 2 buckets, 4 gallons of water and a wash mitt. It will soften your water in the bucket and will not leave streaks.
It can also be diluted to be used as a quick detailer or clay lube.
No need to bust out the hose or anything. Great stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info