24 hours of Lemons: Free car

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I was essentially donated a car today from a friend of mine and guess I see what kind of interest there is? (he just wants $100 out of it for scrap, I can probably fix it with some duct-tape, and a jump and sell it for $300, but I'd rather focus on job hunting than selling or fixing this pile, especially in this weather)

So: When is the next Lemons? Who wants to participate? (Pay toward entry fee, has a trailer and/or truck, etc)

The car I have is an 89 Accord 4 door, 5 speed stick, 2 liter carbed, Slight grind IIRC going into second at WOT, and ATM has at least a dead battery, if not more, new front control arms, suspension and brakes are intact, etc.

Just figure I see if there is any measurable interest, if not, I'll just sell it for scrap, or on craigslist.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So is it a pos or decent

Visually its got typical honda rot in the quarters, and is banged up pretty good, but the interior is more-or-less intact, and nothing is rusted through, and it ran good before it stopped running the other day. It may need an alternator/battery, Not sure yet, but Its probably fixable being as honda honestly. Someone could probably pick up an entire spare drivetrain to bring with to lemons for like $100 honestly, Lol.

so the long and short of it is that it would pass as a "Free-$100" car in the BS test of Lemons.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
probably not. all i know is by the time they bought tires, brakes, tie-rods, ball joints, fuel cell, race seat, harness and a roll cage they were about 4K into a $200 car.

i hope they spent that on safety equipment, because you can't spend more than 500 total on the car. i love these rules.
From the rules page:
* 4.1: Total Investment in Vehicle Can Not Exceed $500: Except for items described in Rules 4.2 and 4.3, the total spent to purchase and prepare any car may not exceed $500.

o 4.1.1: Lame-Ass Rationalizations: Cars that "should be" worth $500 don't count; cars that "were worth $500" before you spent another $2000 to fix them don't count; cars you've owned for 20 years and spent more than $500 on during that time don't count; "it would have been worth $500 if it didn't already have a cage" doesn't count. Five hundred dollars means five hundred frickin' dollars.
4.2: Safety Equipment DOES NOT Count Toward $500 Total: Safety equipment described in Section 3 DOES NOT count toward the $500 total. There is NO LIMIT on safety-equipment spending. Tires, wheels, and brake components are also considered safety equipment and DO NOT count toward the $500 total. While not mandatory, additional safety items such as fuel cells and plumbed fire suppression systems are highly recommended and DO NOT count toward the $500 total. Exhaust systems aft of the header DO NOT count toward the $500 total.
4.3: Registration, Insurance, License DO NOT count Toward $500 Total: Registration, insurance, or license charges—assuming for some reason you bothered—DO NOT count toward the $500 total.
4.4: BSF Factor: To prevent cheating, all cars will be inspected by a panel appointed by the organizers. At that time, all teams will be given an opportunity to describe the car's purchase and prep. If the panel believes the limit set out in Rule 4.1 has been exceeded, it will assign a Bullshit Factor (BSF) equal to one BSF per ten dollars above the limit. The entry will be docked one lap for each BSF assigned. (Ten dollars = one BSF = one lap.) Entrants are encouraged to bring all supporting evidence and make up plausible-sounding stories in advance.
o 4.4.1: Appeal of BSF Panel Decisions: Get real. There's no appealing this decision. You're boned.
4.5: Sponsorships: Conned some hardworking corp into giving you parts or cash? Nice work, but it still counts toward the $500 total. We recommend blowing that sponsorship dough on other stuff instead--hotel rooms, gasoline, entry fees, pedicures, driver suits, personal male enhancement medication, travel expenses, Freudian therapy for the organizers...things like that.
4.6: Labor Costs: If you didn't pay for the labor, it doesn't count toward the $500 total. If you did pay for it, it does count toward the $500 total. This just ain't that complicated, guys.
4.7: Scavenger Sales: If you sell pieces off of your car, the money that comes back in can be used to offset the initial purchase price. Just be prepared to convince some exceedingly skeptical judges of the validity of all those transactions.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
yes it was all considered safety equipment. you need a roll cage and fuel cell and those are pricey. the tires, brakes and suspension stuff is also considered safety equipment. i still think they went way overboard with it but unless you have some fab skills and parts laying around the lemons race isnt $500.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info