Paint crew V. Roommate damaged car in garage

Ruiner

Aug 25, 2011
Looking for some advice here, and maybe someone on here does paint, or knows someone I can trust and rely on.

This is a cross-post from LS2.com a few weeks ago.

"--------------------------
Hey Man,

Sorry but I have a bit of bad news. I was moving Jacobs bag set and I accidentally took a bad turn and hit your GT. I tired to fix it but I think I just made it worse. Let me know how you want to handle. I'll cover the cost. Again, so sorry, if this were my car I would be furious, I understand.

--------------------------

I drove home to see what the damage was, and am instantly thinking, he tried to cover it up in hopes I wouldn't notice it was damaged.

Quarter panel is dented in
Quarter panel down to bare metal
Bumper scraped/damaged"

575734_10101573912329008_1401541574_n.jpg

So I filed with Allstate and they covered the repairs and suggested I take it to the repair shop down the street. (Sterling automotive.) They took the car in and said they'd make it all good and not to worry. I asked a lot of questions and even dropped by as it was being worked on to check in on things. Unfortunately that didn't help.

They didn't repair a part of the bumper where they were supposed to, and had to pull it all off and redo the bumper again. When I got it back these were the things I noticed, which they said they would fix for free obviously.

ugh.. Got the car back and there were multiple problems.

There were burn marks from buffing in the clear on the bumper.
clearaftershop.jpg

They were only supposed to put the VR-4 badge back, and obviously they didn't do that. The guy was upset they did. Seems there is a lack of communication from front to the back and the guys working. They actually missed some paint they were supposed to do originally and had to remove the bumper again do it. They marked it for prep and then never did it.
aftershopbumper.jpg

The quarter panel no longer lines up with the bumper. I don't think they pulled it enough, or the bumper was rushed on and isn't lined up correctly. It's more noticeable in person, but is definitely different than the other side.

There was also a run in the clear on the bumper as well. They claim they will fix it all, but is very frustrating, and I feel like it's just gonna keep coming back with more random things wrong. They said they could clear the sides of the car and wet sand to get it to match the new panels better for 850.

panelaftershop.jpg

panelaftershop2.jpg

So anyways. Now the car has a perfect looking panel, making the rest of the car look really bad. I took it to another shop who quoted 2800 to repair and paint all sides of the car (minus roof, hood, bumper, hatch, etc) just down the sides repairing all dents, dings, and truly painting all panels. Not a terrible quote honestly.

Their painter chatted with me for about 30 minutes and said he'd wet sand the car first to see if he could make it look a lot better without clearing it. In his opinion, if you're clearing and prepping a panel, you might as well paint.

Sterling quoted 859 to do the wet sand and clear (they'll just spray right over scratches and rock chips, etc)

Libertyville Auto Body said 200 for the wet sanding only.

Here's an example of the difference in paint. The new section has no orange peel and looks drastically different than the door.

afterpaintinshop.jpg

Any suggestions? I'd like to not spend a ton of money, but figure if there is someone on here that is good and says they could do it all for cheaper than one of the shops then I might go that route. Would love to have the car looking immaculate again.

Ruiner

Aug 25, 2011
Not spend a bunch of money? You shouldn't be spending any. Go to the best paint shop in the area and charge the guy that did it.

I can't unfortunately. He has no renters insurance, and the only course of action I have is to take it to small claims court, or sue him (since a whole paint job is 6k+) and I don't have the time, energy, or money to hire a lawyer and risk that. Most judge's would probably look at me, and say the part he damaged was repaired was it not? The average Joe isn't going to have sympathy that I'm the second owner, had the car for a decade, and that it was a SS paint and that the new section doesn't really match.

The kid may be chalking up 1,000. If he does and the wet sand works, then I'll be +800 in the bank. If I did the other, I'd have to spend 1800.

Ruiner

Aug 25, 2011
I'll definitely give the guy a call, and try to bring the car over there. Have to take it back to the shop to get the original stuff fixed, and will probably wetsand just to see if that does it at 200 bucks that's worth the gamble and is 30 seconds down the street from me.

After that, I'll bring it to him if I think it still needs to be painted and fixed up more.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
BrianG has had alot of work done to his 3000gt at comunity auto body in carol stream. Eddie does good work over there and has treated the car with extra care.

eddie also took care of my car when i got rearended. had no problem talking insurance company into getting me a cat back system rather than replacing a muffler. and got me a gxp rear bumper rather than a gtp 2 piece bumper. paint was blended purfectly and everything matches.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info