more proof of standardization of cars over the last 20 years

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
so im replacing the lf hub bearing on my 98 dodge...pull it outta the package and lo and behold...this things identical to a GM FWD bearing :rofl:

i test fit a GP axle, yup splines fit perfectly
3 bolt to knuckle pattern...the same
stud pattern...5x 115...the same
stud thread and pitch...the same
distance from hub face to knuckle mounting surface...the same
the old dodge hub i removed even has the exact same rear dust seal/slinger...with the boss for the internal ABS sensor...only dodge uses an external ABS sensor and reluctor wheel on the axle...where the GM uses the internal sensor....
well the oe dodge hub actually has the reluctor wheel inside...they just never punched a hole in the dust cover for the GM abs wiring pigtail...they just left the sensor pickup and pigtail out.

i dont have any GM hubs that are outta the knuckle to so a side to side comparison but from rough measurements the axle thrust face to hub face dimention is either dead nuts on or just a cunthair off.

so yeah...if you need a front hub bearing for your W body or other GM and dont give a fuck about the abs....i got this timken hub from autozone for 95$ and rockauto lists it for even cheaper.

imma keep this hub for future measurements to confirm my suspicions but this could be quite nice to find a cheaper hub bearing for those of us who hate abs :jg:

clint282cc

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
the wheelbearings on my truck are the same as a viper... only 6x4.5 boltpattern in the industry... :huh: i would assume this kinda stuff happens all the time. just like the "viper" 4 piston calipers on my truck are the same as any 4 piston brembo setup ive seen on newer camaros...

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
While it is kind of interesting, at the same time, if you think about it, it makes sense. It's not like GM is producing the hubs themselves, so why have a bearing company produce something brand new at a higher cost when something is already commercially available? Interesting find nonetheless tho James!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well i did more checking... it is identical in all measurements...

but i found one difference...the hub centric for the GM bearing is the same for the wheel and the rotor...but on the dodge the rotor pilot is larger than the rim, so the GM rotor wont fit but everything else will :fu:

soooo close lol but im glad i did check everything else out.

yeah its cheaper to use the same parts among several platforms so it doesnt suprize me but a dodge hub working on a Gm woulda been a kick :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info