Aluminum Vs. Steel driveshafts

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've decided on going with Suburban Driveline to get my driveshaft done, and of course his first question is "Steel or Aluminum"

I told him exactly what I was looking for and what I was providing, and he gave me a ball park $250 for steel, or $350 for Aluminum.

So I come to everyone here for a bit of guidance...

Isn't steel stronger than Aluminum in applications like this?

I will be launching the piss out of this car on the dragstrip, and I will be taking it to auto-X's and road-courses eventually.

It has a 3.91 gear out back, and plenty of torque (est. 300-350ft/lbs).

The $100 doesn't phase me, but If steel is stronger AND cheaper, I don't think the rotating mass weight reduction would really be worth it? Or am I totally wrong and Alum is stronger AND lighter typically?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I would think packaging constraints might determine which is the better choice for you. If you have the money and plenty of space, Aluminum is a good option.

Don't REALLY have a ton of room, I recall reading that the writer of the swap article ran a 2.5 inch steel shaft on a bolt-on foxbody motor, and I may need to 'massage' the bracing in the tunnel to potentially fit a 3 inch.

With only 300whp give or take on tap, I don't think I'd really be at risk of breaking either, so I guess it boils down to is:

I may have to massage the tunnel and spend $100 more for a lighter driveshaft, or do I save the $100 and just stick with steel.

Will you need to take into consideration what rear you'll be putting in once you destroy the one that is in there?

That was the original plan, but it changed due to the fact that it didn't share input flanges with the new/bigger diff.

Currently have 'small case' 3.46 Diff on the car (stock)

Purchased 'medium case' rear flange

Already purchased 'medium case' 3.91 LSD diff, which is known for handling 400+ whp/wtq problem-free.

The axles are inter-changeable, but I STRONGLY suspect the stock 4 cylinder axles are not as strong as the stock 6 cylinder axles in my bmw.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
as long as its a good quality AL DS I'd consider using it but I'd still rather have a chromemoly DS and never worry about it.

Now if you find a Stock AL GM Driveshaft that was used in 4th gen F-bodies walk away... They are cheap for a reason. Mine came apart in the center like someone twisted a can apart and its pretty common for them to come apart like that. all I had for mods was a lid, Catback, 3600 stall, FLT trans on Dr's car ran 12.6's with a 1.6 60' so it was not some crazy amount of power I put putting down. Running a stock steel one now that I put new ujoints on and had balanced and have gone mid 11's without a problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info