f22a6 idle surging...

TurboACCORD

3rd Mario Brother
Jan 30, 2008
I've been twiddling with the vacuum lines going to and from the plenum on an f22a6 in my 92 Accord because when I bought the car, some were plugged and others were completely gone. It ran fine for the first few months but eventually it started surging in idle. I replaced all the vacuum lines and ran them to the correct places. Now when I start the car, it feels like it's running extremely lean. Most of the time it dies out. I was thinking it could be the IACV or something like it. The car is turbo'd and has been running on the lean side since I bought it, but never like this... Help me before I'm forced to sell it!! haha. And Mike knows what I'm working with here...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've been twiddling with the vacuum lines going to and from the plenum on an f22a6 in my 92 Accord because when I bought the car, some were plugged and others were completely gone. It ran fine for the first few months but eventually it started surging in idle. I replaced all the vacuum lines and ran them to the correct places. Now when I start the car, it feels like it's running extremely lean. Most of the time it dies out. I was thinking it could be the IACV or something like it. The car is turbo'd and has been running on the lean side since I bought it, but never like this... Help me before I'm forced to sell it!! haha. And Mike knows what I'm working with here...

I'm sure I've asked this before, but how is it tuned...

You can't just strap a turbo on a car and expect it to work :ugh: (I know you didn't, but I'm just saying if you still haven't had the car professionally tuned, You risk the engine every day you drive it)

TurboACCORD

3rd Mario Brother
Jan 30, 2008
Well the turbo pretty much was slapped on by the previous owner without tuning so I rarely drive the car. For the first few months I had the car, I never had the problem. When the weather started getting warmer it started to surge. I got completely fed up after so many attempts to fix it that I sent it over to my loyal mechanic. He told me it would cost x amount to re run the vacuum lines and what not so I did it myself. After doing so, the surging sort of stopped. I rarely get surging, but it seems to be running really really lean. I sometimes don't even get a reading on my a/f gauge. For example, it will idle perfectly fine for a while, but if I engage 1st gear, it dies pretty quickly. I have read on multiple forums that the problem is most likely caused by the FITV. The screw inside can come loose and keep giving the intake suction when not needed blah blah blah, but I don't think that's the problem. I'll be working on this tomorrow, so hopefully I can get some well-needed insight in the morning! :bigthumb:

Thanks fellas.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
oh, and finc, what ever happened to that swap you were doing in your civic? It's been so long since I've been on the forums lol...

I finished the civic, ran a 15.6 with it, and sold it, and bought a mustang, which I promptly lost in the flooding a few months back, along with my job.

Have you cleaned out your IACV valve with carb clean?

Also, your A:F Gauge is a narrow-band almost certianly, which means its readings are worthless honestly. If you really wanna see whats going on, buy a wide-band.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
If it idles high and then cuts out and goes back up then its probably the IAC. With the car idling unplug the IAC and if it goes to normal then thats your problem. You can't drive it without the IAC so you have to plug it back in. Also, after unplugging the IAC shut the vehicle off before you plug the connector back in. They're very easy to disassemble and clean. Like Das said use carb cleaner.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info