best forced induction?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on the best form of forced induction and/or the brands that make it. For example...single turbo, twin turbo, sequential twin turbo, supercharged, CSC, procharger, etc. Any and all thoughts welcome. I am unsure, but would say the sequential ceramic ball bearing turbo set-up might be the best power producer. I don't know which brand of turbo is the best though. Please discuss...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
this is too broad reallly...

what are we going to be doing? drag racing? auto-x? street stuff? road courses?

what kind of car? what kind of engine...

there are so many variables... which is why there are different choices...

for my gtp i love my turbo because it is sized very well, gets great gas mileage, there is some lag, but not much, and pulls quite well for what it is... now if i had a truck or something and was offroading... the immediate grunt of a s/c would be much cooler ot me, than a turbo...

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
It just depends on what your ultimate goal for the vehicle is and what kind of motor it is as well.

-Turbos can offer limitless power on any displacement motor. Driveability can be great or terrible, powerband is mid to high rpm range, its all in the sizing of the turbo.

-A CSC can take you nearly as far as a turbo, in all practical applications. A low boosing 4cylinder could handle a CSC. However, if you want to run a procharger F1R the 4cylinder wont be able to even power it, as the motor itself will not even be able to spin the blower. Powerband on a CSC is similar to a turbo. Driveability will be great at any power level IMO.

-Positive displacement superchargers are kind of a novelty to me. Less potential than a turbo or CSC, but more than enough potentail for a street or even street/strip vehicle. Driveability will be good but the powerband falls off in the higher RPMs.

That is my take on things. I would take a CSC over either a turbo or positive displacement supercharger any day of the week.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
what do you mean apples and oranges, it seems pretty easy to me. There is one car that gets each one of these mods on it at different times...which one will make the most power

who cares?

a turbo way too big will probably net the biggest number but it will take a week and a half for it to spool, and once it does... then its game over already...

but sure it could be a dyno queen.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Yeah, that is way to broad a question, every motor is different, most will make top hp with a Turbo, but like KJ said the bigger the turbo gets the more lag you get, if your talking about a dragster, look at the fastest, they use superchargers on top-fuel cars.....Look at Auto X, most are NA, less are S/C and Turbo or NA,.....Drift, most run turbo or na, very few if any run S/C'd.....But then again, it falls on personal preference, cause Huge power can be made with all kinds of forced induction

esteinmaier

Dark Helmet
Jun 17, 2008
meh.

why not go the best of all worlds.... two 80mm turbos

feeding a twin screw

with a pretty good no2 shot to get things rollin

on top of a motor plenty big enough to do work on its own. (550c.i. +)

thats the best..... :wink:

Because the twin screw would become a restriction in the flow, barely making more top end power than the twin screw, and you would have to spray it in the intake tube before the turbos or each stage would be a restriction on it's own, making a 100hp shot act like a 35 shot.

Sequential F/I setups can work well, but there are many configurations, and each has it's seperate characteristics. To make it work well, you would want to plumb in a valve that opens whichever compressor is most efficient at the time. Then the SC can dramatically reduce spool time on a larger turbo due to increased exhaust volume. Doing this properly can make a 2.5l motor act much like a 5.0l motor as far as turbo mapping at around 15psi, giving you lots of options to put a huge snail on a fairly small motor. That's one way to make 70psi and 3000hp on a big block, but that's not the only one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info