87 Iroc - C5 Brake Upgrade - Winter Project

brandoLSX

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time"
Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
I decided last winter that I really wanted to update the look of my car. My stock Iroc Wheels were peeling and the braking power wasn't the greatest. So I decided it was time to upgrade the braking system in my Camaro. I searched forums and many websites to get ideas of where to go with this. I originally started with wanted to just do an LS1 upgrade. The further I got looking into it, the C5 Corvette brake set-up wasn't much more and looked way bigger. I was contemplating on cutting the spindles myself and make my own brackets. But the more I thought about it, this could cost me much more time and money than it's worth. So I knew about a site called bigbrakeupgrade.com. I emailed them with all my questions concerns. Scott (runs the upgrade site) emailed me back everyday until all my questions were answered. He was very informative and helpful. You basically send your stock spindles in as a core and then they will send back everything you need. They even offer powder coating.

photo2-3.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

The Old Spindles are off.
photo4-2.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

Once I got the spindles off and ready to ship out, I really examined everything in the wheel well and decided I might as well clean it up while I have everything apart. My underbody coating was cracking and falling off. My springs, struts, and control arm were still in perfect functioning condition but just looked rough. So I decided to powder coat the control arm and clean and paint the other parts. I also wanted to fix the cracking rubberized coating in the wheel well, so I scrapped it all off and recoated it.

photo2-5.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo3-5.jpg

photo1-8.jpg

Last edited:

brandoLSX

Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
DSCN0909.jpg

I tried a few different ways to get the bushing out of the control arms. I tried getting them pressed out and drilling the centers out in hopes that they would just fall apart. Then, thanks to youtube I found a very simple way to remove them. All you need to do is drill a drill bit in between the edge of the bushing and the wall of the control arm. Start the drill slowly and it will start walking around the outside of the bushing. After no time at all the bushing pushed itself out.

DSCN0910.jpg

DSCN0921.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

DSCN0927.jpg

DSCN0928.jpg

Finally got the control arms back from the powder coater.

DSCN0938.jpg

DSCN0937.jpg

DSCN0939.jpg

brandoLSX

Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
And the New Rims in:
photo1-3.jpg

I decided to go with Nitto 555 tires. I put some Nitto 555R Drag Radials in the back.

Sneak Peak:
photo1-5.jpg

View Through the wheels.
photo1.jpg

Since I had the springs off all winter, the car sits higher than is did before the winter. She has been lowering a bit each week. She should sit back down where she was before I took everything apart. When I had my engine out the car did the exact same thing. It looked like I jacked the front end up.

photo2-6.jpg

After a nice fresh buff:

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Love the color on the IROC. Nice upgrades. I bought an '85 when they first came out and drove it for years.

On an unrelated topic, I have a brand new IROC center console that my insurance co. sent me back in the late '80s after a thief broke in and stole my stereo. I fixed the original console while waiting for this new one and never got around to installing the new one before selling the car. It has been in storage for 25 years in its original boxes. I'm coming up to Chicago in a month or so to clean out my storage locker and will be putting it up for sale. Do you IROC guys have any suggestions as to forums to list it on? Thanks!

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Love the color on the IROC. Nice upgrades. I bought an '85 when they first came out and drove it for years.

On an unrelated topic, I have a brand new IROC center console that my insurance co. sent me back in the late '80s after a thief broke in and stole my stereo. I fixed the original console while waiting for this new one and never got around to installing the new one before selling the car. It has been in storage for 25 years in its original boxes. I'm coming up to Chicago in a month or so to clean out my storage locker and will be putting it up for sale. Do you IROC guys have any suggestions as to forums to list it on? Thanks!

3rdgen.org

brandoLSX

Jul 12, 2011
Broomfield, CO
looks great man. is that pinstriping that goes all the way around the car? i think your car would look damn good without it.

Yeah it does go all the way around the car. Thats how these came stock. I had them off once when I was switching things around, it made her look bare without them. They are peeling off again (I got a cheap set) I'll take em off and take a photo and see what everyone thinks and decide from there.

Very nice car! I like the Iroc rims on it, but I'm sure they won't clear the brakes. The Z06 rims do look nice on there as well.

Yeah I loved the Iroc rims too. They don't fit with the brakes now. I have just had them for so long I am was looking for a change.

get single lined IROCs back on it.... ty

They won't fit, and are already sold! Sorry Brah :deadhorse:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info