Throwout (release) bearing preload dilemma.

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
As some of you know I switched the internal throwout bearing/slave cylinder to an external push style slave setup with a clutch fork on my Tremec T5. The slave cylinder is 7/8 bore and the master is 3/4 which reduces pedal effort. I was tired of the internal one leaking inside of the bellhousing all the time so I went this route. My question is this- I know that all fox 5.0 (and 2.3's for that matter) mustangs run the throwout bearing against the clutch pressure plate fingers ALL THE TIME (it is hard to believe the bearing can stand up to spinning all the time), but how much preload should there be? I tried it both ways, once with the bearing not contacting with some air gap between the fingers and the face of the bearing, and once with some preload. The trans wont disengage if the bearing isn't riding up against the fingers. I just dont want to burn the clutch up from slippage because of too much preload. Thoughts?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• C.Evans
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list