Need a stickier tire for the street - ET street or NT05(r)

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
The 555r's worked for the eaton setup but theyre not go great w/ the whipple setup. Looking for opinions. Obviously if i get stuck in the rain with of of the two choices, im gonna be fucked...but the Cobra doesnt see too much rain so im not all that worried about it. For longer road trips, id likely toss the 555's back on for tread life...

Anyway, looking for opinions. GO.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Go with MT's or M&H. Your car is making enough power where it will easily power through a half-assed Nitto DR on the street. Nitto's are good for the guys barely making over 400 at the tires. If there were ever such a thing as a "beginners DR" then the Nitto would surely be it. Ask anyone else who is putting real power down and I would be willing to bet that they aren't running Nitto's. I run with MT ET Street Radial II's on C6Z wheels. Also, they aren't that bad in the rain as long as you dont' drive like a moron, leave TCS on, and don't drive real fast. I had to take the highway once or twice with mine on in a decent downpour and even at 60-70MPH they did better than I thought they would. I was still nervous though.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
MT ET Streets here. 545tq to the tire on my eaton setup and I can get it to stick in 2nd on a warm day with 4.10's. Drove it home in the rain one day at 55mph with no white knuckle driving.

They wear quick but that is the cost of the grip.
The MTs are the stickier tire Mook. Depending whether you lean more towards wanting pure grip or streetability will decide what you need to get, but personally I would try not to get caught with either one in the rain.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
M&H. If i had to choose from your list, nt05r's. ET street is a good type for the track, but will burn up fast on the street... Been there done that. Two sets in one season.

M&Hs lasted a full season last year and have great traction. They do much better than the et streets in weather too.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I've got ET streets. Hands down the best DR you can get. If you get a 275/17 then it is the originally ET street, not the II and I think they hook better. I pulled a 1.89 60' on a stock converter. I only use them on the track, I don't drive on them.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
M&H. If i had to choose from your list, nt05r's. ET street is a good type for the track, but will burn up fast on the street... Been there done that. Two sets in one season.

M&Hs lasted a full season last year and have great traction. They do much better than the et streets in weather too.
The M&H's are a great tire (I use them at the track on my CTS), but the ones that would work on a Cobra are all 28in diameter. Not sure what gears Mook has, but it's something to be aware of. Carl (Wiked03) used them on his Cobra and had good luck (traction and weather-wise), but he also had 4.10 gears to help make up for the diameter (the factory cobra tires are 25.7).

Also, the 275 size still won't dead hook on Mook's car. He'll need the 295 or 315 size IMO. I run the 295's on my Cobra, but with my gears will likely go to the M&H's when the MTs are shot.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
200863d1295671972-drag-radial-advise-522-17310.jpg

/end thread.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.