86 Grand Marquis - Valve cover gasket

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Might be taking a whack at a buddys 86 5.0 grand marquis and was wondering how difficult it would be to do valve cover gaskets. he's leaking oil pretty badly (like 2qts in a few weeks to a month). I'm going to gunk it tomorrow to clean it up a lot, drive it for a while and see where the oil is building up. The only things I can think of are valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket or head gaskets.

The car runs and drives perfectly fine but it just loses a TON of oil. Not too much goes on the ground either. No milky substance or anything else looks like it's in the oil.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
time to send that heap to the crusher. no way would the car leak 2qts a week out the valve covers without anything on the ground. it's burning oil, though he should be grateful that boat anchor is still running.

Rear or front main can also dump oil like there is no tomorrow.

I had a Mark 7 that dumped 2 quarts a week from the rear main till I junked it.

But I agree that valve covers can't/won't dump that much oil.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
well when it comes down to it the person that owns the car doesn't take care of cars like you should...I was just told that he's had this leak for 6 months (since he bought it) and he just NOW put in his first quart of oil before I saw it yesterday...so for all I know he could have lost that much in 6 months.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.