Best rim cleaner?

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Anyone know a remedy to get those corner pockets of debris off the rims? I can shine up mine, but there is always that little corner that has road grime really baked on there.

I remember using an orange acid when I worked at a car wash for a few days. It was the stuff that would burn your eyes if the mist got near you. Anyone know where to get this kind of stuff? It took all that crap right off.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Brown Royal, Sonax and there are a few others. Gotta spray, let it dwell for a few minutes and scrub. I would not use any acid cleaner on your rims. Too risky. I've been able to clean up just about any kind of rim without any acid.

Ill look out for those. Napa/auto zone has them? Oh and what is wrong with acid? Lol sound weird to say but what is risky about it.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Ill look out for those. Napa/auto zone has them? Oh and what is wrong with acid? Lol sound weird to say but what is risky about it.

Nah, these have to be ordered online. I have used quite a few different off the shelf brand wheel cleaners and have found them just as good as soap and water.
I've tried other clear coat safe wheel cleaners and nothing comes close to brown royal. I use it on wheels, tires, wheel wells and engines.
I just know that if you don't use wheel acid correctly, like leave it on too long it will either stain or etch the clearcoat. Plus this isn't something you would be using during your weekly car wash. Its too expensive to be using all the time. I also read that it etches concrete.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
aa_ew&tc24oz_06_11_10.jpg

Always open to trying new stuff though.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Mothers Billet Polish

End.Of.Story.

It is expensive (~$15) for a little jar, but it is GREAT stuff! It is in a red/black jar and you can get it at most auto parts stores (i.e. Pep Boys, etc.).

Even for clear coated wheels?

I actually have been using that stuff sools posted, and so far like it. Although my wheels are simple to clean with no real hard spots.

When I had that crap in the corners of my tq stars, a clay bar always took care of it

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I use the Meg's Wheel Brightener that I ordered in a 1 gallon concentrate. I dilute it down and throw it in a spray bottle. I have never had issue with any type of baked on grime with my own cars because I make sure the wheels have some type of sealant on them like AIO and I wash the cars frequently enough that it never has a chance to bake on. If your wheels have grime baked on in the corners you will need a small brush, somewhat stiff brush to agitate it off. Always make sure your wheels are cool and wetted down before applying any wheel cleaner. If you buy a heavy duty spray bottle for caustic chemicals I can give you some Wheel Brightener concentrate for free.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Even for clear coated wheels?

I actually have been using that stuff sools posted, and so far like it. Although my wheels are simple to clean with no real hard spots.

When I had that crap in the corners of my tq stars, a clay bar always took care of it

I spray it on and use a mf rag to agitate the face of the wheel and a stiff bristle brush on the tire sidewall, really gets everything clean IMO. Haven't ever had anything else I was happy with in 7 years of washing my own cars. :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.