Newish looking VW CC 2.0t...junk?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Saw a CC leaving the train station today. Obviously it was a cold start, ran for 10 sec, pulled out of its spot in front of me and poured all sorts of smoke out the tail pipe. How could such a new car kick out smoke like this? Both blue and white smoke (not condensation either) came out of this thing.

What gives? Is that normal for these motors? Or was this one hurt somehow?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I had a 2012 VW Tiguan press car that went into limp home mode with less than 1,000 miles on it. Locked out transmission gears, throttle and just let it crawl along. We had to leave it in the parking garage for a week because our fleet couldn't pick it up. Car still hasn't re-appeared in the media fleet.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Vw's are known for running hella rich, in and out of open loop. However, it's much worse from a cold start. I'm also sure the person was in a hurry, just like anyone leaving a train station after work. Turbo car + open loop + VW engine management = Hellllllla rich as hell.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
TFSI was in the MK5 stuff. Like pre 2009 and those had cam follower problems. This is the same motor in the Golf R...supposedly redesigned to fix that.

As for the CC I beleive those are either a VR6 in the older ones and the 2.0 TSI in the newer ones. As far as I know from my GTI which is the same motor they have water pump issues for certain build dates. Only thing I can think of.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Seems just like another reason why VW's are overrated. I'm pretty sure everyone has a story of a new or couple year old VW having serious problems. I know that all car makers do, but it just seems like VW has more catastrophic failures than others. :dunno: The reason why I will never own a newer VW out of warranty

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Seems just like another reason why VW's are overrated. I'm pretty sure everyone has a story of a new or couple year old VW having serious problems. I know that all car makers do, but it just seems like VW has more catastrophic failures than others. :dunno: The reason why I will never own a newer VW out of warranty

I've got a 2007 GTI 2.0t with 66k on it without having any serious problems or "catastrophic failures". So next time, you can say that not everyone has a story of having serious problems. :wavey:

I've replaced the cam follower as preventive maintenance (showed a bit of wear at 40,000 miles, but I could've left it in). It's been reflashed with an APR tune and runs well and good mpg and I drive the car fairly aggressively. I've certainly heard plenty of electrical nightmares on 10 year old Veedubs, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another VW with the 2.0t. Just my opinion as an actual owner. :smile:

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I've got a 2007 GTI 2.0t with 66k on it without having any serious problems or "catastrophic failures". So next time, you can say that not everyone has a story of having serious problems. :wavey:

I've replaced the cam follower as preventive maintenance (showed a bit of wear at 40,000 miles, but I could've left it in). It's been reflashed with an APR tune and runs well and good mpg and I drive the car fairly aggressively. I've certainly heard plenty of electrical nightmares on 10 year old Veedubs, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another VW with the 2.0t. Just my opinion as an actual owner. :smile:

I'm not saying everyone has problems, but knows someone personally (not on the forum) that has

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.