BMW 5 series question

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
I might acquire a 2003 BMW 5 series wagon. 525I I believe, I know its a straight six engine. The car leaks oil and has 170K on it. Its believed to be the oil pan gasket. Someone told me the whole engine might have to come out to remove the oil pan to change the gasket. I think it just has to come down enough to get the gasket out, but the oil pan wouldn't have to completely drop out.

Anyone have experience with these? The intention is actually a winter beater and the car would be given to me. Current owner doesn't feel like spending $4K on repairs. I just see the oil pan gasket and possibly the biggest issue.

Easy fix?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I might acquire a 2003 BMW 5 series wagon. 525I I believe, I know its a straight six engine. The car leaks oil and has 170K on it. Its believed to be the oil pan gasket. Someone told me the whole engine might have to come out to remove the oil pan to change the gasket. I think it just has to come down enough to get the gasket out, but the oil pan wouldn't have to completely drop out.

Anyone have experience with these? The intention is actually a winter beater and the car would be given to me. Current owner doesn't feel like spending $4K on repairs. I just see the oil pan gasket and possibly the biggest issue.

Easy fix?

I would strongly suspect the motor needs to come out for the oil pan gasket. I just pulled the 4 cylinder out of a BMW318i, and the motor sits as low and far back as humanly possible in that motor bay. I'd imagine 5 series are the same/similar.

I had the motor out of my 3 series in under a full day of work with hand tools, but I didn't have any remorse for keeping track of where things went etc (since it's a motor swap donor I didn't care).

As far as it having 170K on it, that's nothing for the motor so long as it was never run out/dangerously low on oil, and being an 03, it is the last year of the E39 (best looking IMO).

I would inspect the suspension though 3 and 5 series like to eat lower control arm bushings.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info