Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Ward's Auto has released its annual list of Ten Best Engines for the new year, and our first assessment is that it's just as interesting for what isn't present as for what is. First of all, let's get the official list out of the way:

• Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant)
  • BMW AG: 3.0L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (135i Coupe)
  • BMW AG: 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (335d)
  • Chrysler LLC: 5.7L Hemi OHV V-8 (Dodge Ram/Challenger R/T)
  • Ford Motor Co.: 2.5L DOHC I-4 HEV (Escape Hybrid)
  • General Motors Corp.: 3.6L DOHC V-6 (Cadillac CTS)
  • Honda Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Accord Coupe)
  • Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd.: 4.6L DOHC V-8 (Genesis)
  • Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)
  • Volkswagen AG: 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Jetta TDI)

Take a good look. Nissan's ubiquitous VQ, which up to this point, was the only engine series that had made Ward's Ten Best ever since the list's inception in 1995, is conspicuously absent. That's a big deal. We also note a couple of turbodiesel engines, one in BMW's favored inline-six configuration and one that powers VW's Jetta TDI. Ford's updated 2.5L hybrid four cylinder is also recognized, rounding out this year's trio of green powerplants. We also note that there's only one American V8 engine, the redesigned HEMI from Chrysler. More snubs? How'd they miss the amazing powerplants that sit under the hoods of the Corvette ZR1 and the Nissan GT-R? Update: Thanks goes to our commentators, who point out that the ZR1 and GT-R are too expensive to make the list.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
While the 335d is a notable car (130 more pound-feet of torque than an M3), it hasn't even been available to the public for more than a few weeks, if that. The N/A twin turbo is an amazing engine, though, so that's deserving, no doubt.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
i believe there is a price cap for this list. also the 335d has been available a while just not here in the us.

Even though it's been available elsewhere, I don't think it's the same exact engine. I can't remember right now, but I don't think Euro-spec diesels use the urea injection system that the U.S. models use. I could be wrong, though. Plus, the list is for the North American market, not worldwide.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
That 2 liter turbo audi motor is sweet, very smooth, economical (30+ mpg), and powerful, can't really say anything bad about it. Whereas the hemi is powerful, kind of smooth, but not really economical. It's "rated" at 25, but i can tell you from experience that if you are getting over 22 than that is a great day.

Last edited:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Even though it's been available elsewhere, I don't think it's the same exact engine. I can't remember right now, but I don't think Euro-spec diesels use the urea injection system that the U.S. models use. I could be wrong, though. Plus, the list is for the North American market, not worldwide.

dunno if it's any diff. car is in the north american market now tho.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
That 2 liter turbo audi motor is sweet, very smooth, economical (30+ mpg), and powerful, can't really say anything bad about it. Whereas the hemi is powerful, kind of smooth, but not really economical. It's "rated" at 25, but i can tell you from experience that if you are getting over 22 than that is a great day.

Hey you've been a witness to the "economy" that a hemi can produce.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info