Car Audio people step inside please

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
What you pay is what you get usually, when it comes to speakers, we usually recommend Alpine, Polk, sometimes Kicker (I don't like how they sound, but to each his own). Best bet is to shop around and physically listen to the speakers if you can, everyone's ears are different. Don't expect tons of bass to magically appear, but overall sound quality will be much better, especially over stock.

Being able to crank it, if you want to be safe, you're looking at a 4 channel amplifier, usually looking around 200-300 for a decent one, plus parts and labor if you get it done.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
thread jacking here

ive been looking to replace my subs which are rockfords with lanzars and my pioneer single din radio with a lanzar unit as well. been looking on ebay at prices and they seem verry reasonable for what you get. any good bad or ugly about lanzar that enybody knows?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
+1 to the above post. You get what you pay for. Ideally, you get a good head unit, good amp and good speakers. Quality sounds good, cheap doesn't. I always wanted a set of MB Quart speakers but I'm not sure they are as good as they used to be. Heard the company was sold or something. Do a little research on car audio sites and you will soon find what is currently good performance for a good price.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
+1 to the above post. You get what you pay for. Ideally, you get a good head unit, good amp and good speakers. Quality sounds good, cheap doesn't. I always wanted a set of MB Quart speakers but I'm not sure they are as good as they used to be. Heard the company was sold or something. Do a little research on car audio sites and you will soon find what is currently good performance for a good price.

i have a set of pretty good mb quart speakers from before they were sold to maxx sonics (which is in lake zurich)

i loooove them. titanium dome tweeters... they were a good chunk of change, but have moved with me in two cars... and sound incredible. my gtp actually only has the mbquart component set up front, and then 1 sub in the trunk... id put it up against most stereos as far as sound quality goes, especially when it gets loud.

but yeah, OP. get a good head unit, good 4 channel amp to amp your speakers so they can actually get teh power they need and crank it up.

new focal stuff is $$$$ but :wackit:

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
i have a set of pretty good mb quart speakers from before they were sold to maxx sonics (which is in lake zurich)

i loooove them. titanium dome tweeters... they were a good chunk of change, but have moved with me in two cars... and sound incredible. my gtp actually only has the mbquart component set up front, and then 1 sub in the trunk... id put it up against most stereos as far as sound quality goes, especially when it gets loud.

but yeah, OP. get a good head unit, good 4 channel amp to amp your speakers so they can actually get teh power they need and crank it up.

new focal stuff is $$$$ but :wackit:

Agreed

I currently have the Polk Audio DB series component speakers in the GP and I think they sound really good. I had Infinity Kappa componets in the GXP and they sounded good too but the high notes almost hurt my ears. Everything is powered by my Kicker 10ZX700.5 amp, amp is a must.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
yup, if you want the quality and not just loud...you need a decent amp and a good set of components with crossovers. I haven't been in the audio game in a while. Used to be big into sound quality. Most of the stuff I found was really pricey and not really sold domestic. The set I ended up with was from a Sweedish company called DLS...pretty solid shit. I will say you get what you pay for. If you are just looking to get something that sounds decent, or better than stock, then you should end up with the mid level stuff. If you want something amazing...be prepared to drop over 2k

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I used to do car audio installs quite a lot and also used to compete in sound quality and db drags, set a budget first then ask what to buy based on that budget, my last big set up I had over 10k into at retail price of course I didn't pay retail since I was a dealer for most of it at the time but still good stuff is expensive

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
what did you run? when it was sound quality stuff?

diamond audio is what was in the car i competed with two 10's for subs with an amp for each, 5.25 components in the front 5.25 mids in the rear with a 600 4 channel powering them, and that was when they first came out with the flip out touch screens so I dropped 2g on one of those also lol, and about a grand worth of dyna mat

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
i have a pair of infinity reference (who everyone seems to hate) in my car...6.5 components in the doors with a crossfire amp powering those speakers...

pretty inexpensive for what they are.

i'd be more than happy to stop by one day with the car so you can see what it sounds like.

also depends on what kind of music you listen to (dk if anyone said that already). I listen to mostly metal/screamo/electronic....stuff where screaming highs make or break the deal.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Good thread.. I'm going to get in on the HiJack.. I've been thinking about Moving my fronts 6.5" fronts to the rear and replacing the fronts with some nice separates and getting a good 4 channel amp. I'll have to look into the Polk Audio stuff! Any 4 channel amp recommendations?

My current stuff is all old skool. Hiphonics Brutis 1500D powering a single Audiomobil Mass 2012 and a pair of MB Quart fronts powered by an ancient Phoenix Gold 2240 (no rear speakers). The newest part of the system is the HiPhonics amp bought back in 2003 and the oldest is the Phoenix Gold 2240 I've had since the mid 90's... lol!

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I rock some old school too. Precision Power 6 channel and an old JL sub in a ported box. Amp is an absolute beast but I love it. I run an odd setup too,

Phone -> Clarion EQ -> PPI Amp -> Fronts and Sub

Fronts are some lower end Sony Components but they do a great job. I'm waiting to find a deal on some 6x9s for the rear channel. I'm already pushing my front woofers a little hard. I think my filter for the front is at 73 Hz.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Good thread.. I'm going to get in on the HiJack.. I've been thinking about Moving my fronts 6.5" fronts to the rear and replacing the fronts with some nice separates and getting a good 4 channel amp. I'll have to look into the Polk Audio stuff! Any 4 channel amp recommendations?

My current stuff is all old skool. Hiphonics Brutis 1500D powering a single Audiomobil Mass 2012 and a pair of MB Quart fronts powered by an ancient Phoenix Gold 2240 (no rear speakers). The newest part of the system is the HiPhonics amp bought back in 2003 and the oldest is the Phoenix Gold 2240 I've had since the mid 90's... lol!

it depends on what you want to spend on stuff but ive been on a real jl audio kick for the last few years the new hd amps rock, the hd900/5 is perfect for powering a full system front rear and sub out put but you have to have some serious speakers or you will blow them, I run a jl 600/6 in my boat and cross 5 an 6 over to the sub that would be plenty for a smaller sub and would cost half as much as the 900 but also blows speakers left and right if you dont spend the coin on some solid componets

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
I want nothing to do with subs! I just want to be able to crank my music with out it being distorted and such. So I'm only looking to upgrade interior speakers and from what I've read upgrade the stock amp.

This is exactly what I'm looking to do also.

How the fuck do you pick an amp out? To many out there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.