A/F ratio and carburetors.

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
What numbers do you guys like to see?

My truck seems to like 11.3 all the way across the board. The motor is a built 306 SBF with a Holley ultra 650cfm DP carburetor. About 16* initial timing. It'll rip the tires off of it shifting all the way up through third gear.

If I bump the ratio closer to the desireable 14.7 it just feels really sluggish and has poor throttle response.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
14.7 is the desired normal driving target, but WOT I believe it computes to around 12.7

For some reason mine goes rich 11.8-12.1, even though it was dialed in at 12.7.. Not sure about carb'd setup's but I would think essentially it would be around the same :dunno: My truck runs well though, even though the injectors are beyond maxed :rofl:

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
14.7 with a properly working EGR system is normal for emissions/fuel economy.

If you engine does not have an EGR, 11.5 to 13.0 is a typical range. 13.0 is about as lean as you want to get on a steady speed. Mine runs at around 12.3 and seems to work great. alot of the older (pre-1974) like 11.7 to 12.2 for peak power.

Many newer fuel injected cars are setup for 12.7 only at wide open throttle. This can vary because at wide open throttle the computer does not continually adjust the ratio.

Do not try and run the leaner ratio's without an EGR, You can burn pistons and warp heads with the higher head temps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.