Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Im actually really excited to see how this car holds up...the transmission especially.

There are plenty of ways to test a vehicle's durability. You might hand the keys to your average teenager for a week or plop a journalist behind the wheel for an hour. Or you could simply enter the machine in the 24 Hours of Nürburgring. Nissan has opted for the latter option for the company's upgraded-for-2012 GT-R. The automaker's development team want to fully stress the supercar's systems by putting it through one of the world's most grueling endurance races. Of course, the fact that Nissan wants to one-up Porsche in its own backyard certainly doesn't hurt, either.

Nissan has thrown a bit more downforce at the vehicle's front end and the factory wing has been replaced as well, but the engine, transmission and suspension all remain unaltered from the factory Club Track edition. The competition vehicle will wear slightly wider tires, as well as safety cage and a larger fuel cell to accommodate the race regulations. The factory brakes have also been swapped out for more aggressive hardware.

Nissan says some of the changes may make their way to production in the near future as the company pushes the vehicle to break the seven minute lap time barrier at Germany's most famous track. Scroll down to see the video for yourself.

Nissan entering stock GT-R in 24 Hours of Nürburgring

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
stock motor...stock trans...stock suspension....stock brakes would NOT last 24 hours non stop on the ring...cage is a must...fuel cell is self explanatory...dunno how much more "right" they could do it and not endanger their drivers.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
stock motor...stock trans...stock suspension....stock brakes would NOT last 24 hours non stop on the ring...cage is a must...fuel cell is self explanatory...dunno how much more "right" they could do it and not endanger their drivers.

You just proved my point. A stock car could not handle that race, so why advertise you are doing it in a STOCK car. Thats like saying my car is stock accept...... There is no accept. Stock is stock.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
i do not agree with you. so i will not.

besides, its not my title...its autoblog and i think nissan's.

Chill buddy. Stock in stock in eveyones book if you agree or not. And I understand that they wouldnt be able to put a car that just rolled out of the factory in the race. But thats my point. Why say its stock? Test the car as a whole. Either way, I was simply stating that I think their experiment is a crock. Not trying to offend you. I know you just passed it along. Its all good. Beside you have a yellow cobra just like I did. So that means you are cool@!!

:fy:

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
This was mine.

DSC01174resized.jpg

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I agree that "stock" is stretched too far in many instances, including this one, but the parts' durability people care about with this particular car are the components that will be unchanged.

Stock drivetrain and suspension it sounds like.

Brakes for endurance races are insane with ridiculously thick brake pads. No way stock would work. I'd say they're making it as stock as road racing a car can be. :dunno:

ef_vtak

Power of Dreams
Mar 25, 2009
I agree that "stock" is stretched too far in many instances, including this one, but the parts' durability people care about with this particular car are the components that will be unchanged.

That's stock enough for me for a 24hr enduro. Regardless of safety regulations, street brakes and tires would completely deteriorate shortly into the race. These modifications are a given.

I'm interested on how this will fare for them.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I want to see how an actual STOCK car fairs. That car will not be stock as it says. Different tires and brakes. Cage and bigger fuel cell. Im sure there is a lot more to it also because of the regulations. Forget that, do it right.

i think those hardly discount that the car is basically stock. different brakes? ok upgraded from stock. different brake pads? come on. totally acceptable. i wonder how the stock turbos will hold up under all that work

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.