Keeping Brake Dust off of Wheels

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Well I have noticed with my new wheels that they attain alot of my brake dust. I am wondering if waxing or something will help prevent this? Theyre just painted gunmetal gray. Seems after only two or three days from washing them they are turning shity quickly.

And before you same check the brakes theyre fine. Its every wheel. And Ive been easier on them as well to see if that helps.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
What the others said.. Some brake pads will definately produce more dust than others.
You need to use something like a high temp wheel wax or sealent. I personally clean my wheels really well and then apply Collinite 845 which is a very high temp resistant wax. After that is applied I only use soap and water and the brake dust is very easy to remove. If you apply wax and then use a harsh wheel cleaner it will remove the wax right away. So you definately need to use a PH neutral car soap for maintenance.
I have heard good things about the new Armor All brake wax that is sold in stores (although I would never use anything else armor all). Might try that or I think Eagle One has something like that too.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
that's how my car is. 3-4 days and i have to wipe down the wheels. does the pam cooking spray idea really work?

i go through a lot of wheel cleaner when i have to do it every 3-4 days as well, so it'd save me a little money.

I probably wouldn't try the Pam cooking spray. Leave that for cooking.

Think about purchasing a really good wheel cleaner. I use Brown Royal which is the best wheel cleaner out there hands down. It's stupid cheap for how much you get and it's performance. A whole gallon is $15ish dollars and you dilute it with water. You can use it on your wheel wells, tires and rims. I remember buying into the Sonax Full effect craze and it doesn't touch this stuff.
Another alternative is a good clearcoat safe All Purpose Cleaner (APC). Meguires apc+ works very well and is $12 a gallon and you dilute it.
Then once you get them nice and clean, apply the wheel wax. You will be happy you won't be going through $7-$10 bottles of wheel cleaners every few weeks.
I've done close to 60 cars with the brown royal and I still have half a gallon left. I would say money well spent.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Inb4richsaysNOtoceramics

This car is for AutoX, no way in hell he would use anything but semi-metallic hawks!

Lulz they really dont make any pads for my car.

I am currently running Napas best ceramics and they only have a 1/4 left to them. On my old steelies I would notice a little brake dust but nothing like this. Maybe because the wheel is alot more open being a 5 spoke design. I do use a harsh cleaner so maybe a good coating of wax is needed.

After I wax them should I just wash it like I do the car? no wheel cleaner at all?

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
I use this:
are-9000903_w.jpg

American Racing Wheel Wax - SummitRacing.com

American Racing Wheel Wax. When we had our BMW I swear it would attract brake dust just sitting on the driveway. With the wheel wax it would not get as bad as quickly and it washed off easily. If it rained, the dust would easily wash off so they actually looked clean all the time in the rain.

I tried regular wax and it helps but doesn't last long. The wheel wax lasts about 3-4 months.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.