How hard is it to remove a steering wheel?

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Reason I ask is I've found a few clean ones in a few local yards and mine is developing a crack in the leather where it's gonna start splitting and looking like dick soon, not to mention the leather is worn down where my hands are all the time.

2012-03-16174545.jpg

Is it just a basic nut holding it on or what? I have a haynes manual that shows how to disable/discharge power from the SIR system and safely remove the airbag but nothing of steering wheel removal. GM wants $445 for a new one.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
We don't use pullers at work. We take the nut off and then put it back on a few threads and then pull back on the wheel as hard as possible while rocking it side to side (don't turn it, just rock side to side). The wheel will come off and get caught by the nut so it won't rip the airbag wires out of the clock spring. After that you can take the nut off and carefully feed the wires through the wheel and make sure not to twist anything

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.