Suggestions for parts / fluids

tony275

Farfegnugen
Apr 20, 2010
Sycamore, IL
Hey guys,

I realize everyone may not know a ton about VWs and even less about R32s, but I figured I'd put the word out and see if anyone knows where the best deals are, or where there's just genuine good service out there.

I have a list of parts needed for my car, and curious what your guys' input is.

1. Tires - I need all four tires, looking for all seasons, my car is limited to 130MPH, and don't plan on going that fast very much anyway, so I'm not crazy concerned about speed rating.

2. Springs - my passenger front spring is cracked, and need to replace at LEAST the front axle springs, I've been debating lowering the car anyway, so if there's a lowering spring set out there somewhere in the right price range, I'll pull the trigger on that. I'd LOVE to get a nice set of coilovers, but I don't think I have the cash for that at this point in time.

3. Fluids - I'm looking to flush and drain most all the fluids in the R32. Including Haldex, transmission, coolant, etc. Suggestions on good fluids?

4. Brakes - I'm doing all four corners, need rotors and pads. I've heard good things about Red Stuff pads, but not even the slightest idea where to look for rotors. I want to avoid Napa / AAP for these, as I've had bad luck with them for direct fitment to the R32 [ I've got bigger OEM brakes than GTIs and standard Golfs ]. I'd love to stick OEM, but that's just not practical on my wallet. I would like to avoid brake dust as much as possible, so I've been looking for zinc coated rotors and ceramic pads.

Please keep in mind that this isn't something where I'm going to be able to go nuts on, I do have a budget!

TIA!

rafa

Mar 26, 2012
It will all depend of what you will want to do with the car.

I mean, you dont need mean pads to cruise around, specially because they will be loud and wont work as good without heat. But Hawk makes some real nice pads, ive heard good things about ebc rotors too.

For coolant go with Engine Ice. Watter wetter is good too, but will freeze in the winter.
RedLine for trasmission fluid.

Eibach sportline springs should work for what you want.

tony275

Farfegnugen
Apr 20, 2010
Sycamore, IL
Mook, I looked into Powerslots and like what I've been reading with the reviews and they have the size I need, and not too bad with pricing!

I daily drive the car, but that doesn't mean I don't drive the car hard. I wouldn't want something that's ineffective without a lot of heat, and from what I've read on EBC pads and rotors, they're pretty efficient under stress and normal daily driving.

As long as Engine Ice has a G12 equivalent [ Euro spec ] I will look into it. I know for sure AMSOIL has a Euro line, so that's why I'm leaning towards them, if I decide not to stick with OEM VW Audi G12 coolant, which I probably will. You're the second person I've had recommend RedLine for trans fluid, I need to do some more digging with them.

rafa

Mar 26, 2012
You radiator aint going to clog up homie, just make sure you do a good job flushing it.

I only had one experience with amsoil oil on my bike and i didnt like it. That being said, there is several people who swear by it.

In my opinion you will be fine with almost any synthetic oil out there, the trick is just to change the oil often. I do every 3k miles or 3 months no matter what.

tony275

Farfegnugen
Apr 20, 2010
Sycamore, IL
I change mine every 6k as I have with every other full synthetic oil I've run and never seem to have sluggish issues.

I was mentioning clogging just because I've personally seen a few European cars run alternative coolants and they brick the radiator and such. No bueno! I'll stick with G12 coolant and I just got a fairly good deal on AMSOIL products, so I'm probably gonna use them for my engine, trans, clutch, power steering and brake fluid. Sticking OEM with coolant and Haldex fluids.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.