Oil Disposal

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Somehow, I have a ton of oil in the garage. Mostly it's all in 5 qt. containers, though I do have a few 1 qt. containers and a 5 gallon bucket with all sorts of fluids. Where do I go to get rid of all of this?

In Michigan, there was a recycling center to just dump it all into a tank. Here, it seems that doesn't exist and local parts places say they only take 1 qt. containers and have a maximum. I probably have near a dozen 5 qt. jugs.

This shit hits the storm drain soon.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
If you have like 55 gallons at home you are not going to get paid for it. Large national accounts, dealerships, quick lubes, and auto repair facilities sell it to the company I work for and others. The going rate for used oil is anywhere from $1.50-$1.75 per gallon right now for larger quantities.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Most places give you your jugs back, I've noticed. The Auto Zone in Fox Lake told me "Just throw 'em in our dumpster, we can't do it ourselves. You can, though." I was like :wtf:

As a business they cannot dispose of the oil containers in that manner as it would become their waste. It would be considered a "Residue Last Contained" waste and would need to be disposed in the appropriate manner. Otherwise they could face action from the EPA.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
If you have like 55 gallons at home you are not going to get paid for it. Large national accounts, dealerships, quick lubes, and auto repair facilities sell it to the company I work for and others. The going rate for used oil is anywhere from $1.50-$1.75 per gallon right now for larger quantities.

Safetycleen takes ours for free at work but it's only 55 gallons every few months.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
I just drop my gallon containers at jiffy lube or some place like that outside their bay doors when they're closed so I don't have to deal with anyone.

That's illegal and they can charge you if they catch you. I worked at a service place and they would always check the outside cameras if that happened to see if they could get a plate #.

I collect all my oil in 5 gal buckets with a lid that I get from work. I take them in to auto zone with no problem when they are full. The one out in Yorkville even takes the bucket for me.

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Jun 29, 2009
auto zone takes whatever i give them, regardless of size. Most the time the dude lets me pour it in there too, since he remembers me going there everyday when i was building my motor.

If you pour it in the drain rob, i will call the EPA on you.. i take that shit serious

IF auto zone won't, there's a place off 31 that takes old oil. they use it in their furnace.

rocco

Addict
Jan 19, 2012
Aurora, IL
That's illegal and they can charge you if they catch you. I worked at a service place and they would always check the outside cameras if that happened to see if they could get a plate #.

I collect all my oil in 5 gal buckets with a lid that I get from work. I take them in to auto zone with no problem when they are full. The one out in Yorkville even takes the bucket for me.

Really? I had no idea it was illegal to do. Thanks for the info. I'll take it to autozone or somewhere else from now on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.