What Aftermarket Headlight Bulbs Have You Tried?

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
I'm looking to upgrade my headlights in the 2003 Mounty. I've had Silverstar Ultras in my old buick and the cobra. Seemed a lot brighter in the Buick for some reason. I want to hear what your opinions are on what you have used. Looking for road illumination over cool factor and color. I like what I've been reading about Philips X-treme power. Any others? Sorry I'm not looking to go HIDs, I'm spending that money on Off-road lights.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
Looks like no one has tried replacing their headlights.

Well I popped for some Philips Xtreme Power bulbs. Claims 80% more light. Bought on Amazon for $30.

I went with this because of
-the 80% more light claim
-same stock color
-Philips does OEM lights and I thought they would be quality (during my research I found many cases where PIAAs and even Sylvania Silverstars were only lasting a year or two) Didn't have this problem with my Silverstars, but I wanted to try something new.

After researching you can definitely find whiter lights, but just because they are whiter they may not be put out more light. I wanted to keep the lights somewhat yellower like stock because it will not reflect in snow/fog/rain as much as the white or blue lights and this vehicle is my powder hunter.

These seem to be good quality, but I;m not sure if they are 80% more light. The color is the same as stock so this may be tricking me into thinking they don't put out more light. I took some pictures I'll post up later. The real test will be when I get them on the mountain canyons where there is zero street lights. It does feel like the pattern and illuminated spot on the road is bigger and brighter.

I also did the traditional change one light and shine them at your garage door. Since they are the same color I felt disappointed because they didn't look any different shining on something 5 feet away. I'll do a more thorough test when I get some more time.

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
Hids are going to run you the same price as upgraded factory bulbs, just fyi. look at DDM tuning, have had great support and quality out of their kits including everyone i know that use them.

the problem with HID retrokits is that the housings they are going in werent designed for HID bulbs. the light may be more intense but it will disperse out worse than before.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info