Looking for productive Input: RWD in the winter

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
If you do not have something productive to say, please keep it to yourself, I'm just looking for suggestions from those who have experiance.

I don't want to see posts saying "Have fun" or "Be careful" I'm looking for direct input/useful information to consider.

This is going to be my first winter DDing a RWD Vehicle... Everything I've owned/driven on a regular basis aside from 2 months I owned a mark7 3 falls ago has been FWD.

My truck is a 4 banger reg cab, stepside bed ranger, 2WD, Auto.

I have 5 70lb tubes of 'traction grit' sand currently over the rear axle, and I have tools on-board, and will have a shovel as well. The tires are all in great shape, and are IIRC Kumho generic light truck tires, P235/70/14's.

Now keep in mind, I'm not an idiot so I know to keep my foot off the throttle and the difference between the handling traits of RWD and FWD in the snow, but this is going to be a new experiance for me, so I'm looking for tips for "If I start to loose it" and "If I get stuck" type of thing as I'm so used to FWD. Also curious if over the axle is the best place for the weight, I've heard mixed things about over the axle.

Thank you for input in advance for those that have it, and I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question to some of you.

Oh, and I'm not buying snow tires, $ does not permit.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
If there's an approaching hill, try to gain some speed so you can crest the hill without stopping or slowing down. I learned to drive in the winter on a 1990 Thunderbird, and my first car was a 1990 Caprice.

Biff

Banned
May 24, 2007
After the first snowfall, go to a large parking lot and work on your skid control.

Get going around 20mph, then lock the brakes up in both directions.
Remember to steer opposite of the direction you're skidding..
Drifting techniques apply here
Try to get the Ranger to understeer AND oversteer

It fckn FUN, too!

Rear ABS?
Try using the handbrake to induce a skid

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Just don't drive like a idiot, and use common sense. People have driven RWD in snow since the beginning of cars.

Your failure to read threads, and post worthless information amazes me...

If you do not have something productive to say, please keep it to yourself, I'm just looking for suggestions from those who have experiance.

I don't want to see posts saying "Have fun" or "Be careful" I'm looking for direct input/useful information to consider.

This is going to be my first winter DDing a RWD Vehicle... Everything I've owned/driven on a regular basis aside from 2 months I owned a mark7 3 falls ago has been FWD.

My truck is a 4 banger reg cab, stepside bed ranger, 2WD, Auto.

I have 5 70lb tubes of 'traction grit' sand currently over the rear axle, and I have tools on-board, and will have a shovel as well. The tires are all in great shape, and are IIRC Kumho generic light truck tires, P235/70/14's.

Now keep in mind, I'm not an idiot so I know to keep my foot off the throttle and the difference between the handling traits of RWD and FWD in the snow, but this is going to be a new experiance for me, so I'm looking for tips for "If I start to loose it" and "If I get stuck" type of thing as I'm so used to FWD. Also curious if over the axle is the best place for the weight, I've heard mixed things about over the axle.

Thank you for input in advance for those that have it, and I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question to some of you.

Oh, and I'm not buying snow tires, $ does not permit.

Thank you for the other input everyone, I didn't think about gaining some speed up hills, that is the kind of stuff I was looking for, thanks again!

Buddy5791

TCG Elite Member
Aug 6, 2007
Naperville
from what ive seen...keep cinderblocks or really heavy bags of sand in your trunk (cinderblocks are cheaper) also keep a tarp under them so incase it leaks rips or breaks its not all over

take corners really slow if you can

and this is just a sugestion but maybe try keeping chains in your trunk JUST INCASE you get off the road and need help

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
from what ive seen...keep cinderblocks or really heavy bags of sand in your trunk (cinderblocks are cheaper) also keep a tarp under them so incase it leaks rips or breaks its not all over

take corners really slow if you can

and this is just a sugestion but maybe try keeping chains in your trunk JUST INCASE you get off the road and need help

Its a good suggestion, but if I'm that far off the road, I'd only have one wheel drive, and a chain on a wheel with no grip won't help :hs:

The sand was only like $3 a bag, not too bad, and I guess I've been told I can cut a bag open and toss it under my tires if I get on Ice?

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Its a big difference, when I drive the GTO I have to totally change the way I drive. FWD you just mash and go... RWD is a whole different universe! Putting weight in the GTO isn't feasible because the back end just sinks. We keep cardboard around to drive over when it gets icy in the alley, and sometimes plywood.

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
Its a good suggestion, but if I'm that far off the road, I'd only have one wheel drive, and a chain on a wheel with no grip won't help :hs:

The sand was only like $3 a bag, not too bad, and I guess I've been told I can cut a bag open and toss it under my tires if I get on Ice?

Tube sand is a good thing... I used to carry two 70 pounders in the back of my Camaro. I never had to break one open though...

As for my input here, not much can be said that hasn't been said already... so I am just going to say that I know where you are going with this truck. RWD is definitely different in the snow, and I agree with what panda said... RWD has been around since the beginning of time it seems. I used to love delivering Pizza in the snow in my 2.8L Camaro... Not much power, but damn, it could do some doughnuts like mad!!!

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
did you drive your t/a in the snow? do you drive your dads srt8 in the snow? when was the last time you drove a rwd as a daily driver in the snow? to some its a big deal so if you dont have anything to contribute to him, lay off

I don't need to drive those. They are in storage mainly because of the salt and the fact that there are better winter rides to drive. I have driven many RWD only cars in the snow alot, the TA was just my old RWD "daily driver". Its not that bad, hell, most of the time its fun to drive RWD. Doughnuts, a little drifting etc. Like I said, don't drive like a idiot and use common sense. Stay out of the deep snow :s00ls:

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
and I agree with what panda said... RWD has been around since the beginning of time it seems

i dont disagree with that, but not everyone has driven rwd in the snow...hell, the last time i did was when i was 16 puttering around in my 3rd gen...i'm a bit nervous to drive the Z w/ snow on the ground, mostly b/c of all the bad things ive heard about it

Biff

Banned
May 24, 2007
One time i got caught in a blizzard while driving home from work in my Camaro with Z-rated "performance" tires.. Damn near every time i would pull away from a traffic light my rear rim/tire would hit the curb!
OUCH! %$#&^*!!

Snow tires make a HUGE difference on RWD autos

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'd find a way to fit snowies in the ol budget if you are going to be driving a lot and are really worried about it. buying used or getting steelies and small ass tires you should be able to do it cheaper... but yah i can understand not wanting to spend the money too. personally i'm using snowies for life. :)

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
You'll be fine, just take it slow around turns and leave more braking distance.

Dont use cinder blocks in the bed, you get into an accident and thats a cinder torpedo to your dome. I would even secure the sand bags just to be safe. I use sandbags as a ballast when I snow plow and a 2x6 tied to the rear cargo tie downs to keep the bags from gaining any momentum when breaking hard or coming to an abrupt stop when piling snow. (wow, that a run-on sentance if there ever was one)

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
My SS has been my daily/winter drive since I bought it 7 years ago, so here is my input. Tires are HUGE. When I first got the car I used the same wheel/tires all year round, it came with Eagle F1s, great for summer, terrible for snow. If there was any snow on the ground the car was virtually worthless. The past 4 years I've had smaller wheels with snow tires on them, and boy does that make a difference. I actually prefer rear wheel drive to FWD in the snow because I can control the ass end around a corner. If you loes grip in a fwd car around a corner, you are FUCKED. The car will just slide straight, and probably right into a curb, or worse, another car. Be smart. The ass end is willing to give out at ANY moment when going around a corner, if you feel the ass end start to give out, lay off the gas and counter steer, do not brake. Once u get more experienced, it's even beneficial to stay on the gas and countersteer through the turn. As Bru said, when going up a hill gain speed before hitting the actual hill, when climbing the hill give the car just enough gas to keep a constant speed, any more and you will lose grip and then you are fucked. When going down a hill, start braking way EARLY, although this would be the same concept in a FWD car. Good luck, you will be fine. Experience is key, and hopefully this winter isn't anything like last years.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Best advice would be to take that thing to an empty parking lot on the first mesaurable snowfall and see how it handles. The sand will help, but keep in mind you now have more mass in the rear that can swing out in a skid. So take it easy, and use common sense.

I DD my G35 in the winter and I made it through last year. Granted I have snow tires, it performed awesome. I had more control with my car with the snow tires than I did with my FWD '95 Altima did with decent A/S tires. When you act stupid and neglect common sense is when you pose a threat.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
like turk said definitely make sure your tires are up to the task of handling snow. you cant do anything if they cant do their job. the sand bags in the rear will help also. i too actually preferred rwd to fwd when driving in the snow for the same reason turk said. i liked being able to just pull out, give it a little gas, and get the rear end to slide where i wanted to go and id be off. haha. but yeah, find a good parking lot and just see how the truck reacts to different situations so you can be prepared on how to handle it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info