02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Physical motion and force are different,

BASIC RULES

RPM is divided by the gear ratio.

TORQUE is multiplied by the gear ratio.

POWER does not change during the transfer.

IDLER AND COMPOUND GEARS can be treated as two gears, using the total gear ratio.

Source

The power doesn't change, I'm pretty sure most dyno's need gear ratio info........

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Your friend is right

You're not altering the engine's characteristics, but if, for example, first gear were putting 400 ft-lbs to the axles before, doubling the final drive from 2.20 to 4.40 will effectively be doubling the torque at the axle in first gear.

If you halve the speed, you double the torque, it is what it is.

You owe someone 100 dollars, sorry.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
that guy is an idiot. the engine does not produce any more tq becuase of your gear ratio. all it is changing is when you have a 2.20 gear you have more top end speed and when you go to a 4:40 gear you would 0-60 faster and lose your top end.

Did you read what I said?

The engine is not putting out any more torque, and the power output is not being altered.

At the AXLE however, at the same RPM and the same gear, the 4.40 final drive will produce twice the torque that a 2.20 gear would. That is a plain and simple fact. At the axle, doubling the final drive ratio will double the torque, period.

This dude owes his friend a benjy

KevinsCaddy01STS

3800 Wrecking Crew
Nov 12, 2008
Antioch
Real Name
Kevin

The engine is not putting out any more torque, and the power output is not being altered.

At the AXLE however, at the same RPM and the same gear, the 4.40 final drive will produce twice the torque that a 2.20 gear would. That is a plain and simple fact. At the axle, doubling the final drive ratio will double the torque, period.

But he is not talking about that. He is saying that if you produce 400ft/lbs of torque with a 2.20 final ratio, if you then put in a 4.40 final ratio, your combo will then produce 800ft/lbs of torque. Thats not true.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
with that quote putting bigger rims on a car would change the torque

No, tire height (not rim diameter) would not affect the torque, it would change the longitudinal force (forward thrust if you will) delivered by that wheel to the ground.

Unless the person in question said changing gear ratio would affect ENGINE torque, he was correct and the OP owes him money. If he said it changed engine torque, he is wrong, and owes the OP money.

BluBeaSSt

TCG Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Kansas City Mo

You are right :bigthumb:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info