Grrtrude is coming along

esteinmaier

Dark Helmet
Jun 17, 2008
She's still a little ways from done, but much closer. Gotta finish the intake manifold and get the exhaust to come out the back of the car instead of the side of the turbo. Past that it's just little stuff here and there like moving the battery, plumbing a new fuel line and radiator hose, and redoing all my vacuum lines.

IMG00032.jpg

esteinmaier

Dark Helmet
Jun 17, 2008
looks good - pm me some specs on the motor so i can get some ideas for my spare motor!

It's 2.0l, of course. Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons, but the head is shaved .030 so it actually equates to about a 9.25:1. It's built for ethanol though. With gas, I would never run that high compression for a big turbo build. Rods are off the shelf eagles. Naturally, ARP stuff throughout.

I'm gonna try to keep it together at around 700whp. It will be a challenge, but the cylinder walls tend to stay round better than the older 2.0l motors, since this one is based on the NGC block, with a closed deck and a couple other design changes that Chrysler put together at the same time they did the SRT4 2.4.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
It's 2.0l, of course. Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons, but the head is shaved .030 so it actually equates to about a 9.25:1. It's built for ethanol though. With gas, I would never run that high compression for a big turbo build. Rods are off the shelf eagles. Naturally, ARP stuff throughout.

I'm gonna try to keep it together at around 700whp. It will be a challenge, but the cylinder walls tend to stay round better than the older 2.0l motors, since this one is based on the NGC block, with a closed deck and a couple other design changes that Chrysler put together at the same time they did the SRT4 2.4.

nice - yeah i think im gonna see what the stock crank in the srt will hold - hopefully i can make 600-700whp with it - gonna talk to darrel cox tomorrow i suppose since they been emailing the crap out of me - i sure know when me and jeff took my spare motor apart we were damn impresed with how well it was put together. good luck on everything

esteinmaier

Dark Helmet
Jun 17, 2008
No, I didn't weld. My nextdoor neighbor's dad actually did most of it. I did all the cleanup and hours of playing with an angle grinder, a dremel, and a box of sandpaper. That's why it looks good lol. I still have more sanding to do, but after the hours and hours I spent with it yesterday, I'll be lazy for a little while before I make it prettier. The important part is that it's functional.

esteinmaier

Dark Helmet
Jun 17, 2008
Some more progress...

Mounted the battery tray and put the battery in it:
P1010032.jpg

Permanantly mounted the major parts, such as the turbo, intake manifold, etc.
P1010031.jpg

Made new radiator hoses and other water lines, along with tapping the ports for them.
P1010030.jpg

Got the fuel rail mounting out of the way.
P1010028.jpg

Made a downpipe. Forgot to weld in an o2 bung though, so I have to pull it back out.
P1010020.jpg

And took some more pretty pictures...
P1010015.jpg

esteinmaier

Dark Helmet
Jun 17, 2008
Actually, that's really close to my goal, except it's set up for e85. I'm trying for 145mph traps, and hopefully I can squeak out a 9. I don't expect to be too deep into the 9s though.

Yea, I just threw together the downpipe quickly with a wire feed. I'm pretty far from being an expert welder. I'll probably grind it down a little bit, but I need to wrap it anyway because it sits pretty close to brake lines, so I'm not really worried about how it looks.

esteinmaier

Dark Helmet
Jun 17, 2008
That weld that you can see was done on a normal mig, although I did the wastegate dump tube and the battery tray with flux core. Those look even worse lol.

But either way, the welds hold and don't leak. It's still a neon, and there's only so much you can polish a turd...

I'll probably have to flux core one of my boost pipes along with that o2 bung, so they will look even uglier. It's too bad I'm so bad at welding, cuz I'm really good at dressing it up afterwards.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info