A huge setback on the car

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Ugh, I put in the radiator; that had it's own problems...then the atl bracket/belt pulleys.

Front manifold, crossover, rear manifold. When I was tightening on the heat shield to the front manifold one of the studs busted off in the head...this has never happened to me in many years of wrenching on these motors. I pulled off the front mannie, and it's way in there. Not enough room to get a drill in there, so the radiator and all the crap up front needs to come out again. I thought I'd have it running by tomorrow, and now probably not. I'm guessing it will take a bout 4 hours just to drill it out without damaging anything.

I've spent the last several weeks cleaning and refurbishing parts just to run into this!

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
It's a 1/4" into the head; so no. If I get lucky I can drill it down the center ans easy-out it, but I don't think it will work. I will probably oversie the hole and use a bigger bolt.

The studs go on either end of each manifold, and the bolts for all the other hold downs. The studs are in there tight also. They have a hex end, and I broke sockets trying to get them out before. Either way, it's going to be a real bitch to fix.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I drilled it out, and the easy out wouldn't budge it. I went ahead and drilled out the bolt completely. I was retapping the hole when the fucking tap broke off in the head! I was very careful not to bend it, and I used plenty of cutting fluid. The last thing I wanted to happen was breaking the tap off, since they are so hard it's impossible to drill them out. I'm taking a little break right now, but the only chance I have is to break the tap up with a hammer to get it out. I can grab about 1/4" of thread with a new stud, and I may just have to settle if the tap won't come out.

I expected the worst, and got what I expected. I'll probably be dicking with it for another 2 hours minimum.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
If it gives me anymore trouble I'm moving the fire closer to the car!!!
pic001_4.jpg

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I pour acetone on the floor and light it on fire. It warms up the garage quick, and has no fumes. No mesureable C02 either. I do it about once an hour, and with my lights, is enough to keep it in the mid 40's in the garage. One winter I pulled the BBQ grill in, and that worked too!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info