Best battery tender

skyhighsd

auto mofo
Mar 25, 2007

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Is that screw on cable long enough to make it to the front grill area? Do any of you guys have it set up permanently like that?

I still drive the car maybe once or twice per week, so I'd like it to be easy to connect and disconnect without opening the hood.

skyhighsd

auto mofo
Mar 25, 2007
Never tried that and have no clue what I did with the cable after all these years. I use mine on more than one battery, I have mine set up in the basement and switch it between a car battery and a motorcycle battery once a month. Since I only have the single battery tender.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Ok, so I built my own cable that screws down to the battery terminals and runs into the grill area. I installed a fuse on the positive side of the cable near the battery (for safety). The other end of the cable in the grill area terminates to an S-connector with a cap.

Whenever I need to plug-in, I just reach in the front grill opening, grab the cable, pull off the weatherproof cap and plug it into the battery tender. It's just as easy to disconnect.

Since I drive the car at least once per week, this is much less of a hassle than opening and closing the hood every time I want to connect the battery tender.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
I had four quads and two bikes hooked up on trickle chargers. Two on the brand Battery Tender and the rest on a brand called CTEK. The battery tenders kept getting drained. I went to buy a battery at Interstate warehouse and they said Battery Tender will drain them more than most brands. I have never had a problem with CTEK. This is my only bad experience with them so take it as you want.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Not too sure how the battery tender can "drain" the battery. The whole point of it is to maintain a full charge level of the battery. A battery tender is not a trickle charger which can cook a battery, rather it charges it at a very low amperage until it gets full. Once full, the battery tender enters a "float mode" which monitors the charge of the battery and only tops it off if it gets low.

It could be that your Battery Tender was defective somehow. I actually didn't buy that brand, but instead got a Schumacher which is the same brand I use on my sump pump battery. My last sump pump battery lasted 10 years.

I guess only time will tell if this thing is gonna end up killing my battery instead of saving it.

This morning in the -2 degree temps, I had to drive the Cobra. It cranked and started right up like it was 75 degrees out.

03GEETEE

The "2V" of Chitown
Feb 26, 2007
I use a battery tender jr on my stang, and use the other quick connect cables on my boat battery on the bench. I alternate each battery every 2 weeks or so and have always had great success. Never a dead battery and I can change the cables to switch batteries in about 5 secs.

JTR

jacek

Apr 12, 2011

Cobratron

Regular
Jun 1, 2009
I've never used a battery tender yet, but am about to. Just wanted to know if it was safe to use a battery tender and close the hood and then put the battery tender under the car with a car cover over the car????

Do the wires heat up? is it not safe to put a car cover over it?

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
I use the 10 dollar unit from Harbor Freight...works great.

And yes you can close the hood and put a cover on the car.

Zack, i think ive agreed with just about everything you said but this lol. I dont think i could trust something like that knowing its really cheap quality. It might be good for the moment, but for how long who knows. Last thing i would want is for a battery that explodes under my hood or worse a fire from the charger shorting and burning down the garage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info