Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
summer time i basically get in, fire it up and drive away....as its gotten colder i try to give it about 30 seconds since i'm usually late for work then i drive shifting under 3k the whole way and going into 6th as early as possible :dunno: i'm pretty bad w/ letting the car warm up. i just turn on the heated seats and carry about my bidness

Slider

Regular
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
Summer 10 seconds, Winter 1 minute. Letting the car sit there idling isn't doing any good for the car, just creating carbon deposits and wasting gas. It does however get the coolant warmed up so the heater can warm you up. The oil is still not going to be up to temperature.

The best way to warm the car up is just to drive easy until your oil warms up. This happens some time after the coolant reaches operating temp. So after my coolant reaches temp I drive another 10 minutes before any aggressive driving. The car will warm up much quicker with a light load compared to it just sitting there.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
um, however long it takes me to buckle up and take the parking brake off after starting the thing I guess...?

It's generally not even warmed up to the second click by the time I shut it off again. Never driving more than a half mile FTL, really fucks the gas mileage.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Typically about 10 minutes just to get the interior bearable. My car does have a remote start, but I lost the key fob a long time ago and haven't used the remote start in like 3 years.

On a side note, the G6 rental I have came with remote start from the factory, like a bunch of other new GM products. Nice touch.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Summertime...usually get in and go.

Winter...
20*+: usually 30 secs
0-20*: a minute or so
Below 0: when the car sounds somewhat normal at idle

I normally keep below 2500 RPMs until it reaches 160*.

As for remote starts, I've had my DEI Viper on my GTP for 7 years with zero problems. My SSEi and wife's Aztek have units from http://autostartusa.com/. Their range on the FM units rock. I get at least 1/4 mile range.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info