Question of the Pontiac G8 GT

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
At work people know I am the Pontiac nut, and come to me with questions, and if I dont know them I look for them.

Well the one girl here at work was looking at buying a 2008 G8 GT. And she said the sales man said the motor was an aussie motor. Is this fact true? I know what Pontiac did with the GTO, is that they took the aussie platform, make suttle changes, and dropped an ls1 (2004) or ls2 (2005-06) motor in it.

So is this current 6.0L motor an aussie designed 6.0L motor, or is this the 5th Gen 6.0L motor from GM?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
From GM High-Tech Performance:

G8 GT-L76 6.0L V-8
If you've read this magazine for any measurable length of time, you've undoubtedly heard us bantering about the L76 intake paired with L92 cylinder heads. Oddly enough, up until now we didn't even have a vehicle in the United States that used this particular manifold. The good news is that not only do we finally get this mystical intake, we also get cylinder heads that fit the smaller bore-but with the same benefits of the L92-style heads, including the rectangular LS7-style intake ports.

In basic terms, the L76 is a natural extension of the LS2. They share a similar bore (101.6mm LS2, 101.3mm L76), and the same 92mm stroke, but there are also many differences that should be noted. First up is the addition of "Active Fuel Management," or Displacement on Demand, as it was originally termed. This system allows the deactivation of four specially provisioned cylinders through the use of particular lifters, oil channels, and tolerances on the camshaft lobes of those four cylinders. The L76 can thus transition from a V-8 to a V-4 and back again, with nearly seamless precision all but unnoticed by the driver. Additionally, this system increases fuel economy under low-load, low-throttle situations such as highway driving, but doesn't play a large role in city fuel economy. Currently, Holden does not have this feature activated on their L76s; however, the Pontiac model will reportedly have Active Fuel Management.

Pontiac G8

Next up is the option of variable cam-phasing. While the L76 currently in use in the Holden Commodore does not have the ability to change cam timing, the L76 truck variant here in the US does, which means we are likely to see it in the car relatively soon. This system works by metering the oil flow to the cam phaser, effectively physically advancing or retarding camshaft timing. Couple that with Active Fuel Management, and we have a V-8 that can not only pass upcoming stricter emissions standards, but also get incredible fuel economy.

Pontiac G8

Speaking of fuel, the L76 in the G8 is calibrated to unleash an astounding 362 hp on regular fuel. This is a dream come true for tuners, who will likely be able to wring over 40 hp by simply tweaking the fueling and spark to use high-test premium gasoline. Tuning, of course, leads us to another topic: the engine controller. As of press time, it appears the G8 will be sporting the relatively new Delphi E67 controller. This faster processor allows control of the Displacement on Demand and cam-phasing (if equipped) simultaneously, and adds a few needed input and output drivers, as well.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
There was a L76 in the Eighty's too if I remember correctly..........

WIkipedia adds this:

L76

See also the Vortec 6000 L76(theres your answer fish)

L76 was originally Holden's version of the 6.0 L (5,967 cc/364.1 cu in) Generation IV engine. While displacement on demand technology was disabled on Holdens, this feature is enabled on the 2008 Pontiac G8. The engine also meets Euro III emissions requirements. Output is 348 hp (260 kW) at 5600 rpm and 376 ft·lbf (510 N·m) at 4400 rpm for the Holden variant, and 361 hp (269.8 kW) and 385 ft·lbf of torque (526.5 N·m) for the G8 GT.[3]

Applications:

* 2006 Holden VZ Commodore
* 2008 Pontiac G8

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info