1meangt come in

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
Ok well mike your old problem just became my new problem. Now that they bought the jeep they want me to get rid of the death wobble. I can visually see you did a lot to the front end. I have one question you said it got aligned was that after or before you put on the new track bar. Anyone else want to throw any ideas on how to get rid of the death wobble out of a 98 cherokee i would appreciate it.

Dj

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Ok well mike your old problem just became my new problem. Now that they bought the jeep they want me to get rid of the death wobble. I can visually see you did a lot to the front end. I have one question you said it got aligned was that after or before you put on the new track bar. Anyone else want to throw any ideas on how to get rid of the death wobble out of a 98 cherokee i would appreciate it.

Dj

Not my problem anymore...........................lol :joke:

The alignment was the last thing done to the jeep. I tried 2 different track bars. The one that is on it now is a Moog and the bushing is alot better/stronger then the 1st one I tried. Neither one made a difference though so I would look elsewhere.

I told him to check the steering box as I felt that the steering was kind of loose at times. Also maybe try pulling the front driveshaft and take it for a spin. That was something else I thought about doing. The u-joints on the driveshafts have never been replaced. Just the ones on the front axles themselves.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Entire list of everything that can cause death wobble:
-Front tires out of balance
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar end
-Need adjustable track bar
-Bad bushings/joints in control arms
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box looseness
-Need drop pitman arm
-Driveshaft(s) not balanced
-Bad front hub assembly

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
alright thanks i will keep you updated im about to put it back in the air now. Yes the list is shorter if you say what things wont cause a death wobble. Also let me add this is one of the cleanest 12yr old vehicle i have ever seen.

BIGONTS

Addict
May 23, 2005
I have a lower mile 2001 Cherokee Sport. 96K mi. Lifted in 2in about 6 months ago and got the death wobble. Got new shocks, check brakes, etc.. Never, ever had anything like this happen on the truck untill I lifted it. This past weekend, I got it realighed, tires rebalanced and entire front end checked for bad joints, etc.. . Still getting the wobble. It's very frustrating and downright scary on the highway. Going to try and get a new heavy duty steering shock/stabilizer. :mad::confused:

Also going to check the front control arm bushings.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
alright thanks i will keep you updated im about to put it back in the air now. Yes the list is shorter if you say what things wont cause a death wobble. Also let me add this is one of the cleanest 12yr old vehicle i have ever seen.

:biggthump Thanks man, the truck is super clean. I take good care of my vehicles. He will be happy once the wobble is figured out. Should run for a very long time.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Usually play in the steering gear box, and a week steering stabilizer shock will attribute to this the most. i have a good amount of play in my jeep box as well, but only a little wobble at times which doesn't concern me enough to get into it. a lot of other little things can create a worse wobble if not in the best shape as well, which already have been mentioned.

The Blondie

1MeanGt's Chick!!!
May 23, 2005
Call me what you want… However, that white Jeepy and I had many of awkward moments together…. From the black ice (almost involving a nativity scene), the “free” gas from the guy in the flannel shirt (who was driving an older white panel van), and of course the numerous impromptu road trips to various place…

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
Alright todays update. Well he wants to spare no expense Im having both drive shafts made true. Replacing sway bar bushing (they where a little worn) and he is getting all new tires stock size which are 225/75 instead of 235/75. All this at the same time so i wont even be able to tell which one it is if it is fixed that is. Let you know on the outcome shortly.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
well another update think i found it. The driveshaft shop just called me and asked if i had the death wobble, because the front driveshaft was so far out of balance. Will be picking them up first thing in the AM to put em on. Already did the sway bar bushing and sway bar ends. I went with the nice moog set up just for security.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
Alright the "Death Wobble" is officially gone. It was the front drive shaft. Had it up well past 70 and this thing rides like a cadillac. Actually pretty shocked on how smooth the cherokees run. Thanks for all the suggestions and to all who have the wobble i recommend to atleast check out your drive shaft.

BIGONTS

Addict
May 23, 2005
Alright the "Death Wobble" is officially gone. It was the front drive shaft. Had it up well past 70 and this thing rides like a cadillac. Actually pretty shocked on how smooth the cherokees run. Thanks for all the suggestions and to all who have the wobble i recommend to atleast check out your drive shaft.

I'm going to get mine checked out. Where did you take it? Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info