302 guys: P/S, A/C, smog pump delete, belt routing

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Question!!

302 motor, No AC, no smog pump, and now no power steering. Does anyone make a pulley to replace the power steering unit? I googled and can't find it. The belt routing doesn't look like it'll work without something to replace the power steering, though I have heard of it being done:dunno: .

Another question
: What steering shaft am I supposed to use with a flaming river manual rack?

Thanks for the help. Here's a couple pics, the only one I have of the car's belt routing is an old one when it's apart and a total mess, my apologies :lmao:

Tech_50belts.gif

Attachments

• DSC00328small.jpg
    DSC00328small.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 292

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
You're going to need a blank wheel or tensioner moved so that you can get some belt contacting the WP pulley. Like Box2 said, you can just use an A/C eliminator pulley setup and you should be okay. As long as you have the smooth side of the belt wrapping the WP pulley you should be fine.

I'd say slap an electric WP on there and just do a short belt from the crank to the alternator but that requires $$$$.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
and buy a a/c eliminator bracket to put where the power steering is now

How would an a/c elim. bracket bolt right in to where the power steering goes? You guys sure? Looking at the pictures of one I don't see how it would work.

I'll do a water pump eventually, right now i just want to get the damn thing together and running

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I put a standard rotation water pump on my car and a March Alt. bracket. Then I run the belt over the top of the three pulleys. Here's a pic.
2vmeo9y.jpg

Interesting. I think I might be able to just route it short and still hit the water pump enough to spin it. If not, i'll use a bracket or do this ^

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info