drivetrain issues at track only

sideways

yes, im an ass
Aug 25, 2008
background: 06 mustang gt, i have the Hurst Comp. shifter. has always been notchy and hard to get into gears sometimes. but i manage with it. on the street, even when im gettin on it, its fine. i can launch it on the street, and slam 2nd and 3rd no problem at all.......however:

i've finally started goin to the track again, and everytime i take it down the track, it doesnt wanna go into 2nd. 2 of the runs today it was at the point where i completely took my foot off throttle, and had the clutch all the way to the floor and it wouldnt go into 2nd gear. like it was locked out. finally beasted the shit out of it into 2nd

curious why its only acting up at the track. im lost. and its pissin me off, cuz im cutting 1.8 60 fts on a street tire but cant get a keeper time out of the car because the damn thing wont go into 2nd gear easy

i have zero problems on the street, where i dont hook. checked shifter, its installed correctly. its only at the track. now here's what im thinking, and a large part of it is because of what a friend of mine who rebuilds tranmissions was tellin me:

at the track i hook up hard on launch, which backloads the drivetrain and is causingmy clutch to not work properly. he was tellin me he's seen the exat same situation in a couple trans am's (also with hydraulic clutch), and replacing it solved everything

on the street, i LOVE my shifter. but at the track with these problems it makes me want to rip it out of the car and throw it away.the car has almost 66k on the stock clutch. and i dont drive like a grandma. so i figure for not TOO much more than the cost of the shifter, i could pick up a new clutch (spec please).

does this make sense?

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Didn't realize you had 66k on that clutch.

The symptoms you dedcribed were always indicative of a clutch going out on my Cobra.......drove fine on the street, but under hard abuse at the track it got notchy between gears. Add to that the fact that you don't give the car alot of cool down time between passes and my suspicion grows stronger that alot of your issue was clutch related.

That would be my guess anyway. :dunno:

sideways

yes, im an ass
Aug 25, 2008
well i went ahead and bought a CHE k-member brace with torque limiters as well as the clutch and flywheel. gonna re-grease the shifter later this evening

and i picked up speed inc's last clutch shim this afternoon. im set to go, just gotta wait on parts meow

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info